• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Alexa killing battery

JAy3001

Android Expert
Dec 13, 2010
UK
Right then, my daughter's tablet is suffering from massive battery drain due to bloody Alexa.

I'm not sure what is triggering it, but every so often Alexa jumps to life and sucks the battery dry in as little as an hour.

This problem started on her old fire tablet, so I upgraded and now it has returned!

Here is the issue, the tablet is the Kids Edition and is exclusively used by my daughter so is in the kids profile 100% of the time and as stated in the setup Alexa will not run on the kids profile. So how the hell is it getting stuck in the memory and killing the battery? Mmm..

The only way to solve the issue is to login to my profile, find Alexa and force close it. You then get a few days without issue before it returns.

Today I spoke with tech support and they logged in etc and well.. Force closed the Alexa app on my profile and will ring me back next week! Mmm..

Right, so how do I get to the bottom of this issue?

Could it be related to some of the other Alexa devices in the home such as the Echo or Sonos Beam somehow activating the tablets Alexa? Or could it just be a crappy bug with the OS? Anyone else had this issue?

I don't suppose Amazon let you actually disable the Alexa app? I don't know whether wiping its data would prevent this happening.

I'm afraid I've no experience with it myself, so can't really advise beyond thinking of ways of making sure it can't run (but I suspect that Amazon regard it as "essential" and won't let you disable it).

Reactions: JAy3001
Upvote 0
Nope, not even tech support could. Even tho he went away thinking he had done so.. :eek:

Came down this morning to find a dead tablet again, Alexa doing its thing... :mad: On the old tablet I even reset it and on setup did not enable Alexa and still it ran in the background and killed the tablet.

It must be to do with my profile and how the Freetime profile runs. This is the closed environment for the kids profile which is locked down with just games and apps with no adverts or IAPs and that i pay for each month! :thinking:

Upvote 0
I have found this:

http://kindlefireworld.net/how-to-use-alexa-on-kindle-fire/

To Remove alexa from your amazon device :
  • Open Alexa app or go to alexa.amazon.com from web browser.
  • Tap on Settings.
  • Click on one of the device you want to deregister.
  • For official hardware, you should see a Deregister button to the right of **Device is registered to: [your name].”
  • Tap Deregister and confirm the action

This does not work on my mobile so I'll try this on her tablet when I'm home tomorrow.

Upvote 0
I have found this:

http://kindlefireworld.net/how-to-use-alexa-on-kindle-fire/

To Remove alexa from your amazon device :
  • Open Alexa app or go to alexa.amazon.com from web browser.
  • Tap on Settings.
  • Click on one of the device you want to deregister.
  • For official hardware, you should see a Deregister button to the right of **Device is registered to: [your name].”
  • Tap Deregister and confirm the action

This does not work on my mobile so I'll try this on her tablet when I'm home tomorrow.
Remember the laughing Alexa, maybe it mutated?

Upvote 0
So that link kinda worked. It does eventually work on a PC and enables you to disable communication only on the device. It does not remove Alexa!

It's a weird thing as if launched on her tablet it forces you to download the Amazon Alexa app, the same one that you get on the play store. In there you find the device and disable communications. Odd thing is I had already done this on my phone as it is the same app. :thinking:

However it does seemed to have worked, at least for now. No more battery drain since the 2nd Feb.. but it remains to be seen if it holds as I do not know what the trigger is for the drain..:oops:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones