• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Amazon App Store Thread - Daily Free Apps

Is there something wrong with this thread? It seems to be frozen.
I think most people post only if they see an app they consider worthwhile. That sort of makes sense to me: if someone wants to check it every day, they can go directly to app store just as easily as they can open this thread every day....it's more useful if this thread highlights stuff people consider worthwhile for the benefit of people that don't check every day. Of course opinions on worthwhile may vary. But No-one will criticize someone else for posting something they don't consider worthwhile. We are thankful for everyone who posts.

Upvote 0
Ad free version of checkers app available today
Android Giveaway of the Day
Note you have to follow instructions

Normally, I don't like many games, but this is an old fashioned game that everyone knows. Play it solitaire style with the the computer as the opponent or play it normal two player style.

Two player style on two separate phones or do you have to hand the phone back and forth?

Upvote 0
Amazon is having another big free app deal. They're advertising "Over 135 Dollars" in free apps.

$49.99 of that is "Merriam-Webster's Third New International Pro". I can't see paying $50 for what Google does for free, but I grabbed it just in case. I didn't install it, because reviews note that it'll require another 500MB dictionary download.

Another $14.99 is OfficeSuite Professional 7, which is a frequent visitor to the FAOTD. I already grabbed it in a previous round.

A head-scratcher: PrinterShare Mobile Print, that seems to do what Google Cloud Print does, but charges you $12.95 for the privilege. Hm?

Swype Keyboard is free, normally $3.99, but does anyone swipe with Swype now that everyone else has swiped Swype's swiping style?

mSecure Password Manager and Secure Digital Wallet, normally $9.99. Does it have anything that I didn't get from PasswdSafe (the app recommended by my employer), besides a nonzero price?

The actually featured FAOTD today is Perfectly Clear, a camera replacement that's supposed to adjust for your (my) crappy camera. I'll try it and see what happens. Normally $2.99.

Plus a bunch of other games and utilities. Anything jump out at anyone?

Upvote 0
Merriam Webster works offline hence the 500MB additional download. I already got (and prefer) Oxford Advanced Dictionary off the FAOTD in another instance, but I grabbed MW anyway.

Sketchbook by Autodesk is also free. Note that this is the full tablet optimized version, not the Mobile version that is usually featured. Good grab if you have a tablet for drawing.

Upvote 0
Today's app is a visual feast with calories to match - "Back to Bed" looks good but weights in at 119MB. It has hugely mixed reviews, with the down side apparently being the controls. It has something called Flurry, which I gather is adware of some sort.

Also, the Appstore updated itself. I'm not in it enough to know whether the update is notable in any way.

Upvote 0
There hasn't been much to write about, but today's entry has good reviews. "Jack Lumber" apparently is Fruit Ninja with logs. At 34MB, it's small by Amazon's standards, so I may grab it.
I grabbed it based on the permissions and amazon reviews. I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

I should mention that I survived the AF downtime via Monument Valley from last week. I even bought the next level pack for it. After playing it I'd be tempted even not gettting it is FAOTD.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones