• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 12 and Single Tap answer

Agreed. Samsung, LG and others have used the swipe up to answer for a long time now. Google finally had one right on the Pixel.

But other manufacturers have also had the option to separate ringtone and notification volumes for years now and Google refuses to add that even though it's been one of the most widely asked for features for the last decade.

In closing, to actually answer your question, I'd say it's because Google rarely listens to their customer's desires, takes the worst of other manufacturer's ideas and implements them while discarding the best ideas from the same manufacturers.

Upvote 0
A different take: Google bases pretty much all of their decisions on data collected through analytics, feedback reports, and user testing. If they make a change, it's likely because the data they have showed that it was a good change to make. If you don't like how something is implemented, I implore you to send feedback directly to Google about it.

For general Pixel stuff you can do this through Settings > About phone > Send feedback about this device. Most Google apps (including the Phone one) also have an option at Menu > Help & feedback > Send feedback. I'd recommend using both of these options to make sure that your concerns are seen by the appropriate team.

That said, I personally prefer not being able to answer the phone with a single tap. That makes it way too easy for me to accidentally answer a call as I'm pulling my phone out of my pocket to see who's bothering me. A swipe is a much more deliberate gesture and helps me to avoid those uncomfortable calls.

Upvote 0
Not being able to cancel with a single touch is even more important IMO: that happened to me last week when I pulled the Pixel 2 out of my pocket and found I'd hung up on my daughter before I'd got the phone out of my pocket.

I've decided that the best solution is a single tap accept/reject plus a flip case so that you can't touch the screen until you intend to... ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones