• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android Auto Disable Media From The Phone

PeteMc

Lurker
May 3, 2010
Is there a way to disable the media in Android Auto so that I can connect a USB iPod?

I've gone through the AA and BT settings and have everything I can find related to Media turned OFF. But when we plug in the iPod via USB I get a notice that Android Auto Media is connected.

Really would like to separate it so I can use my phone for Maps, Calls, etc., but use the iPod for music.

Thx

Ah, no, Android....

iPod is not the issue. It's Android Auto telling me that the phone (Android...) is connected as the media source. That's what I'm trying to turn off in Android Auto. I want to be able to use a USB source (or BT, but want to be able to keep the iPod charged) as the media source and NOT my phone. Yes, I'm using an iPod, but even if it was another Android phone, I want to pick a second device for Media.

I'm new to Android Auto, but I've been reading how bad it apparently is. Guess this just confirms how bad the Product Mgr and they're team is if they didn't think that someone other than the driver may want to connect their device as the media source.

Upvote 0
Any recommended alternative? I like being able to connect my phone to the car's screen. But it's got to be at least a half way descent system.

Guess I'll look for another Cig Lighter Plug In Holder. The one for the old car doesn't fit as well in this car, but I'll start looking for one since it doesn't sound like I'm going to get an answer to the AA issue.

Upvote 0
If you go into settings on the Android phone, under Bluetooth, select the connection to your car and turn off media. This will leave your phone connected for calls through the stereo via bluetooth, but allow the wired connection (whether iPod, another Android, and possibly even your own phone) to connect media via the USB cable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones