• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Auto stopped working on Galaxy Fold 3

Paula Pavlico

Lurker
Aug 14, 2022
Android Auto has stopped working. I have a Galaxy Fold 3 that I have been using since November with the Uconnect in my 2018 Jeep Compass. It suddenly stopped working. It worked fine until today. I last used it about 2 weeks ago. The phone connects with the car via Bluetooth just fine. I am able to make calls and receive texts. When I connect the phone using my USB cable to use Android Auto, the phone shows that it is charging and I verified it is set to be able to transfer data. Instead of launching and connecting to Android Auto, the screen on the car tells me to follow directions on the phone screen to connect. The phone screen shows an Android Auto screen that shows it wants to start set up to connect (it used to connect without any issues) but when I hit the "next" button on the phone, Android Auto on the phone just shuts down. I cleared the cache & data for Android Auto, uninstalled & reinstalled Android Auto, verified my phone has all of its software updates, tried a different USB cable, reboot my phone, unpaired & then paired the phone to the car... nothing is working. My phone software updated on August 2nd. This is the first I've tried to use the Android Auto since the last phone software update. I've tried all of the suggestions on Android Auto's troubleshooting page. Can anyone help?

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've used Waze as an alternative to Android Auto and never looked back....
It is so much better without all of the headaches that Android Auto has!

Does Waze have the ability to connect to the screen on my car? Android Auto is the only way I know how to do that. All I really care about is being able to use navigation like I could use Google Maps in Android Auto and have it show on the screen in the car. The navigation system that is built into my Jeep is awful. The phone screen is too small to see easily while driving and I haven't found a phone mount that works well with the Galaxy Fold 3 when I have the phone unfolded for the larger screen.

Upvote 0
Just to clarify, you need to stop using the Android Auto app on your Fold 3. It's no longer a usable service on phones, Google has stopped supporting it.
You can still use Android Auto on your jeep's head unit, through your jeep's display. But that's just in your jeep. Again, stop fixating on connecting your Fold to your jeep using Android Auto. it's not going to work on your phone, only by itself on your jeep.
Now Google wants you to use the driving mode in its Google Assistant instead:
https://support.google.com/assistant/answer/10217503?hl=en

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Just to clarify, you need to stop using the Android Auto app on your Fold 3. It's no longer a usable service on phones, Google has stopped supporting it.
You can still use Android Auto on your jeep's head unit, through your jeep's display. But that's just in your jeep. Again, stop fixating on connecting your Fold to your jeep using Android Auto. it's not going to work on your phone, only by itself on your jeep.
Now Google wants you to use the driving mode in its Google Assistant instead:

How do I use the Android Auto on the Jeep without plugging my phone into the USB port in the car? That's the only way I know how to use it in the Jeep.

Upvote 0
How do I use the Android Auto on the Jeep without plugging my phone into the USB port in the car? That's the only way I know how to use it in the Jeep.
Follow the instructions in the link to set up, implement, and use Assistant driving mode:
You'll still be using Bluetooth to connect wirelessly but now you need to get used to using Google Assistant on your Fold.

The thing is, you have to forget how you've been doing things and relearn a whole new process. And yeah, that's a real bummer. But you're not alone in this kind of situation. It's a common thing to have some app we get hooked on using all the time and after configuring it to just work exactly how we want it, a random update gets applied that changes the user interface completely and we're screwed.
In your instance, you were comfortable using Android Auto and you were used to how it worked. Wiping all that out of your head isn't going to be easy so if you do opt to start to use Assistant driving mode instead, just read through those instructions and then go through each step one-by-one. Don't rush either, get it set up and working first, then go through the daunting task of relearning how to do different things again (i.e. maps, check messages, etc.)

Sadly, Google has a consistent history on killing off its own secondary services so it's increasingly an issue to recommend using them. Don't be too surprised if Google stops supporting driving mode down the road (bad pun intended) when it pushes out yet another replacement.

Upvote 0
If Android Auto stopped working on your Galaxy Fold 3, there are a few things you can do to get it working again. One way is to force reboot your device. This will help you resolve minor conflicts and glitches. Another way is to install the latest security update for Android. This will fix any issues that may have been causing Android Auto to not work.

If the problem still persists after rebooting your phone, you can try to find the reason for the problem. First, check the charging port for debris. You can use a flashlight to check this. If it is dirty, you can use a cotton swab or toothpick to clean it. If the problem persists, you should contact the manufacturer of your device.

Several Samsung users have also reported that the app stopped working after updating to Android 7.8.6. The problem appears to affect users of dozens of different models. Google support team members have received over 100 reports of Android Auto issues. Currently, the issue is still being investigated, but the good news is that it appears to be a software update issue.

If you are still experiencing this problem, you should update to Android 12. This is the most recent update, and it is recommended to upgrade your phone as soon as possible. You can also try wiping the cache partitions to clear your phone's memory and stop recurring reboots.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones