• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android Messages app stopped making sounds when texts arrive

dheymann

Aug 10, 2011
The stock google messages app (for texting) on my Moto G(7) Power just lost functionality. Up until now when a text message arrived a special ring tone I installed would play. The app got an update on 11/19 and now it makes no sound when a text arrives. As you can see in the attached screenshot the settings page where you can normally set a ring tone has no option for sound during notifications. It does say that two categories of settings were deleted. Clicking on the deleted categories or the info icon does nothing. Any ideas how to fix this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191124-081749.png
    Screenshot_20191124-081749.png
    69.5 KB · Views: 232
VZW level 2 tech support fixed the problem. These were the steps:
Power phone off
Remove Sim card (apparently removing sim and replacing while phone is off causes phone to fix itself)
Also removed SD card
Replace Sim card
Power on phone
Open Settings . . . Apps and notifications . . . messages . . . Storage . . .Clear storage
Reboot phone
Problem was fixed. Reinserted SD card
NOTE: Text messages aren't lost because they are on VZW server
I suspect just clearing storage would have fixed the problem

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones