• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help android wireless charging; when does it stop/start?

marklyn

Jun 9, 2010
So this is a general question about android devices that use wireless charging, although my device is version 4.x (tablet) and my S6 phone 5.x version.
When an android device is using wireless charging, what happens when the charging is at 100%, does it stop charging and then start charging at some point when the devices reaches a certain threshold?
If anyone knows of any website that explains how this hand off works in detail, I'd be interested.

My phone (or tablet) will occasionally start discharging and never start charging again unless I remove it from the wireless charger and replace it. It's like something has told it, ok you're at 100% stop charging, but occasionally it "forgets" to start charging again unless physically re-seated.

I've only used wireless charging on a phone. I thought it was the handiest thing since man invented pockets in garments. I can't say about the discharge/charge hand off. I know I was always at a positive charge when I was on the pad and I was always good to go when I removed it. I experienced zero problems with losing a "connecting charge".

I do wish I had more to offer.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
When an android device is using wireless charging, what happens when the charging is at 100%, does it stop charging and then start charging at some point when the devices reaches a certain threshold?

^^^ Exactly this! :)

Here's an older (December 2010) but I think still very relevant thread that does an awesome job of explaining battery charging:

(I know it's not wireless charging specific, but I would think the mechanics and methods would still hold true)

Hope that helps!

Reactions: olbriar and KOLIO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones