• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Annoying popups "this site has a mobile app". How to get rid of them

I like Phandroid. I have the news in my rss feed since a few weeks. However when i want to open an article i often get an annoying popup "this site has an app".

I KNOW. I got the message the first time. I'm sorry if you can monetize less if i only use your site. But I'm a firm believer in proper mobile sites rather than apps and there's nothing wrong with Phandroid's mobile site. I prefer that over an app.

Except that after a while these popupa really get on my nerves. Please help me get rid of them. Please.

Reactions: olebaronvicki
Thank you for your reply and for deleting the double post.

It's indeed about the phandroid news. I get an rss/atom entry for every article on phandroid.com (through feedly in an app called press) and when i click on that it opens the article in chrome (mobile view, running on S5 with stock rom). I think there's a cookie which disables it for 24 hours or so after you press cancel. I'll make a screenshot tomorrow. I don't get it on my pc.

@Nomade It seems to me that a daily popup is meant to annoy people into using the app, and why else would they care if i use the app or site but monetization? But please prove me wrong :)

Upvote 0
You missed my point, so I'll try again.

First, I don't have to "prove you wrong". You're the one asserting something so you should be the person to "prove it right". I just don't know and, honestly, I don't really care so much. Setting in motion a platform like this one and keeping it running costs money and a lot of work . And that's a fact. So if the people after Phandroid make a little money ... well ... good for them, as long so many people, you and me included, enjoy it.
We have a lot of fun with our shiny little gadgets, and forums like this one help us to connect with tons of other people. To help and be helped and enjoy even more the experience. And it's free! So.

No, I don't like much when people complain about petty things, being an extra click or the ads in a free app. We should be grateful to the people that connect us, for free, to a lot a information that make us wiser and happier.

As I told you before, what's the point anyway?

Upvote 0
So if the people after Phandroid make a little money ... well ... good for them, as long so many people, you and me included, enjoy it.
I agree. I discovered the website a few weeks ago and i really like it. I also think they should earn ad revenue to keep the site going. That's why i deliberately disable ad blocker on websites like this when viewing it on my computer. That, however, doesn't make the popups on the mobile site less annoying.

Welkom little pizza man, to Android Forums!
Correct me if I'm wrong but the Phandroid News app is free ;)
More free android info and fun for nada nakkes noppes ;) (Dutch for: free).

The app is free, but honestly it's junk lol......

I encounter the annoying pop-ups as well, but I have learned to live with it.

I doubt it will ever go away.

Indeed. I know the app is "gratis". I just consider such apps bloatware. With a properly coded website and mobile website (such as phandroid), why would i need an app? It doesn't add any function to my phone, other than access to some content that i can also get through a browser.

<in troll speak>Installing an app because you feel like the content of a website isn't "on your phone" otherwise is for noobs and iphone users ;-p </troll speak>

It appears that pizzaman wants to get rid of the popup in the chrome browser when visiting the phandroid.com site. He doesn't want to use the app. He simply would like to know how to get rid of the popup.
Let's stick to that issue and find a resolution, if any. ;)

Yup :)

Maybe i could install the app and then freeze it in titanium? Or at least greenify it? That way it still takes up a little space, but it won't bother me otherwise.

Or maybe i could make the cookie that says i already clicked on today's popup read-only?

I'll try both, unless anyone can tell me up front that it won't work. It'll take a few days to test, since you only get the popup once a day or so.

Since the rss/atom feed also displays the whole article, i'm tempted to just stop using the site altogether and only use the feed. But, it's easier to use the site for articles from where i want to follow several links such as best apps of the month. Besides, i'd be a bit of a leech that way, denying phandroid any ad revenue.

Upvote 0
I ran a little test using feedly and phandroid.com. As you said you can read the article without problems, but miss the comments and the chance to browse. When clicking on the title, bam, the pop up comes, and keep coming every single time I do the same. But, I found I way around that. Click on the three dots and select browser and it runs smooth without the pop up. I checked with chrome, beta and FF.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
That's a good advise nomade, in fact i already do that. But if i hit the link, it goes to the chrome browser right?

Screenshot_2014-09-01-06-21-25%20-%20Copy.png

Upvote 0
Well, not sure about that app but most things I said should work (check settings for sharing tool). Never had the popup so far and it keeps coming after I click on the title and not the shortcut.

Feedly has some offline reading configurations as well, but I prefer using Pocket (for me one of the best apps in the play store, and free). It runs as a charm with every reader, browser, news app, etc., that you can imagine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones