• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any chance we'll get Lollipop?

That's good. Now let's see when we actually get it.

One thing I don't get about Android is why manufactures are so slow to update to the latest software. Now granted some older devices can't handle the update, that I understand. But I am referring to the newer devices and why are the likes of Samsung and others so slow to release the update?

Upvote 0
That's good. Now let's see when we actually get it.

One thing I don't get about Android is why manufactures are so slow to update to the latest software. Now granted some older devices can't handle the update, that I understand. But I am referring to the newer devices and why are the likes of Samsung and others so slow to release the update?

Samsung modifies stock android very heavily. As a result, when an update gets released they have to make those modifications again to the new base, along with any design change they themselves are making. It may take months for these changes and testing.

Contrast that with a manufacturer like Motorola, who runs basically stock android with a few additions, and they're able to get updates out just as fast as googles nexus devices - within a couple of weeks of release.

The above requires that the decision to update has already been made. It costs a company manpower and resources to make the update. The more they deviate from stock android the more work required. They're ultimately in the business of selling you devices, so if a device is aging they'd rather try to sell you a new one than keep putting resources into updating a device with an ever dwindling user base.

Sometimes the device can't handle it, sometimes the manufacturer doesn't think the effort to do it is worth it. Finally, if the device is tied to a carrier they can control when the update goes out. Verizon in particular is known for holding them up for testing on the network. This can add weeks or months to the wait.

If you want fast, quick updates be sure to take the manufacturer into consideration. Googles nexus line is always the first to get it, and they're even giving the 2012 nexus 7 the lollipop update at almost 2 1\2 years old. Google also controls the update schedule so the carriers have no say. Motorola has also been quick lately, being just as quick as nexus with the moto g, e, and x lines.

Just some things to consider :)

Reactions: AnciusD
Upvote 0
Contrast that with a manufacturer like Motorola, who runs basically stock android with a few additions, and they're able to get updates out just as fast as googles nexus devices - within a couple of weeks of release.
You would think that and yet it took well over a year for them to port ICS to the Bionic, even though ICS was released about a week after the Bionic (or something like that) and they promised ICS to Bionic owners when the Bionic launched. Yes, the Bionic started out close to stock Android. Of course, this was all before Motorola sold their phone division to Google (who later sold it to Lenovo), so maybe Motorola Mobility can do better now.

I got a little excited because I got a firmware update a couple of days ago but it turned out to just be a minor update. Still 4.4.2.

Upvote 0
My post above really only applies to post-google purchased moto up to the present.

The pre-google owned motorola phones were not fast at upgrading. They also weren't that close to stock, as they ran motoblur. Couple that with Verizon's notorious reputation for holding back upgrades and that doesn't leave much customer satisfaction.

Upvote 0
Samsung is the worst company when it comes to updating their Android tablets. The Tab 3 is still stuck at version 4.2.2 for goodness sakes. If you buy a Samsung tablet buy one to install CyanogenMod. There always good about creating a version for Samsung tablets and you get regular updates. CM12 for the Samsung Tab Pro is now available and it's not really good but is a whole lot better than that mess Samsung calls TouchWiz. It's also very easy to install so be intimidated by installing a custom ROM.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones