• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any info/help would be appreciated

duglop

Lurker
Dec 15, 2019
I have had the Blade T2 Lite for about 6 months now. It was a great phone for about 2 months, then they had a major update and ever since then it has been horrible at best. I have contacted ZTE in regards to this several times and they continue to insist this is a Simple Mobile issue! I don't care WHO'S issue this is, I want it resolved! I refuse to pay $50/month for CRAP any longer!
It continually stops working right, freezes, slows down or doesn't respond, thus I end up having to hard reset it - sometimes DAILY! Once I reset it, 1/2 the apps don't show up on the home screens or in folders, and aren't even listed on the app page - thus I have to reboot SEVERAL MORE times until they DO show up! Sometimes it takes up to 10 attempts to do so, and sometimes when rebooting it takes 15 minutes for the phone to totally reboot and get back up running. I used to have FULL signal where I live and where I work, now I am lucky to have 2-3 bars at most! NOT acceptable!
The battery doesn't always charge properly when plugged in to charge, and sometimes it dies rather quickly. It came with the Google sms messages app pre installed which doesn't always work properly as well.
I have a 128 GB card for storage but don't like the way it forces users to set up the card - 1 setting doesn't allow the card to operate in ANY other device (including a PC with a card reader) and the other makes it difficult to use for the phone! IT ALSO repositions the damn background image on the home screen every week now. I have scanned it multiple times and found no malicious files or updates, no malware, no viruses. This has been a nightmare!

You say you have "hard reset" it but from your description I think you may be using that term to mean "reboot".

I suggest you back up anything important and then do a factory reset. This will wipe all the apps and all of your data off the phone (hence you need to back up first, and that doesn't mean make a copy and keep that on the phone as well), but if the problem is a conflict between something on the phone and the updated software that will fix it.

Anything that doesn't fix is the fault of the update. Then unfortunately there will be nothing to do except try to get your carrier or ZTE to take responsibility, but I would expect them to insist you try a factory reset before they will do anything so you may as well do that first.

Upvote 0
You say you have "hard reset" it but from your description I think you may be using that term to mean "reboot".

I suggest you back up anything important and then do a factory reset. This will wipe all the apps and all of your data off the phone (hence you need to back up first, and that doesn't mean make a copy and keep that on the phone as well), but if the problem is a conflict between something on the phone and the updated software that will fix it.

Anything that doesn't fix is the fault of the update. Then unfortunately there will be nothing to do except try to get your carrier or ZTE to take responsibility, but I would expect them to insist you try a factory reset before they will do anything so you may as well do that first.

That's exactly what I am saying, I already tried and did all of that with no positive results, and have concluded that it has to be the update. But again, it's now a matter of is it a Tracphone problem or a ZTE problem or a Simple Mobile problem - they are all passing the buck off to each other now, so not sure whom to address. As far as using Cricket as opposed to Simple Mobile, many people in my area that have Cricket are experiencing weak coverage (as do I now with Simple Mobile). When I purchased this phone, it was a great phone - it did everything asked of it flawlessly. I guess when I purchase something brand new that has (had) great reviews, I expect it to work properly. I greatly appreciate the feedback because it basically reassures me of what I already suspected more or less!

Upvote 0
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Reception could be network changes or a bad update - though if the problem started with the update that would be suggestive (and conversely if it started later it would suggest the alternative).

The other stuff, the problem is that the base update will be provided by ZTE and then modified and validated by the carrier. Usually the carrier mods consist of adding bloatware, but this does all provide a way for each to blame the other (one reason I never buy network variant handsets). But if the carrier issued the update it's ultimately their responsibility (and if it comes with any carrier apps then that's who issued it) so I'd hammer on them myself.

Upvote 0
https://www.gsmarena.com/zte_blade_l2-6367.php
Well your phone is a very low-spec model, only 1GB of RAM and 4GB of internal storage, so it's short on operational memory and very limited on storage memory. Adding to the situation is it's running an long-unsupported version of Android so you're bound to have a lot of issues just interacting with a lot of online services. Something else to consider is when using that 128GB microSD card, this model is rated by its manufacturer to only support up to a 32GB microSD card so it's not surprising to have problems with it.
Basically you should just set your expectations accordingly for your own peace of mind. This is a very low-spec phone model so it can only be marginally useful in any kind of day-to-day usage.

Upvote 0
totally agree with this. can't expect to much from a low priced device. sure it might work great at the beginning and then it will eventually breakdown like it is doing now.

if a factory reset does not fix the issue then it is either the phone or your carrier.....or both.
> As I have already said, this phone was manufactured by ZTE for TracPhone sold via Simple Mobile - I have gone round and round with ALL 3 parties... never mind
https://www.gsmarena.com/zte_blade_l2-6367.php
Well your phone is a very low-spec model, only 1GB of RAM and 4GB of internal storage, so it's short on operational memory and very limited on storage memory. Adding to the situation is it's running an long-unsupported version of Android so you're bound to have a lot of issues just interacting with a lot of online services. Something else to consider is when using that 128GB microSD card, this model is rated by its manufacturer to only support up to a 32GB microSD card so it's not surprising to have problems with it.
Basically you should just set your expectations accordingly for your own peace of mind. This is a very low-spec phone model so it can only be marginally useful in any kind of day-to-day usage.

Not true, the phone suggestion is 128G card which is why I use it - it gets formatted as internal for this device only

Reactions: addermc
Upvote 0
ok sorry i think there is some confusion on your phone:
i did find this on tracfone:ZTE Blade T2 (Z559DL)

so what i was trying to say is that we can almost rule out software, since a factory reset did not work. maybe you can try and flash a firmware update, if you have not tried that already.

if that does not work then it has to be either a hardware issue or something on your carriers side....tracfone. i understand that no one is admitting it as to who is to blame.

if a firmware update does not work, then i do not know what else you can do other then get a new phone.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Reception could be network changes or a bad update - though if the problem started with the update that would be suggestive (and conversely if it started later it would suggest the alternative).

The other stuff, the problem is that the base update will be provided by ZTE and then modified and validated by the carrier. Usually the carrier mods consist of adding bloatware, but this does all provide a way for each to blame the other (one reason I never buy network variant handsets). But if the carrier issued the update it's ultimately their responsibility (and if it comes with any carrier apps then that's who issued it) so I'd hammer on them myself.

Hey just got a quick question. In your statement you mentioned that'One reason I never buy network variant handsets'. Does it mean your able to buy a phone without all the crap pre-installed? Would love that. Traded my daughter My iPhone 10 (hated it) for her ZTE Max (love it), except it's got a lot of pre-installed apps. And your statement caught my eye to a question I can Never get an answer to. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Ok here' my thought..
You mentioned twice already that before the update your phone was flawless to your standard..
So is very simple..why don't you downgrade to that particular firmware the phone was at..that's what I would do if it was my phone I would go half way across the world and find it..and gain pace of mind(loved that statement previously said!!!)..
Try to find that file..

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones