• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Time is Grillin Time

That looks fantastic. I'll have to give that a go. What temp and how long did it take? I want to figure out if it is a weekday or weekend cook.
I had the smoker set on 225°. I didn't wrap at all which would speed up the cook. It reached 185° in bit less than 4 hours. I let it rest an hour which a bit of rest would have likely been just fine. In all honesty, it was very good and cheaper than baby backs by a dollar a pound and no bone to boot. I would have liked to glaze them but my wife can't do the sugars. They were plenty good exactly as I cooked them but I'd pull them a bit before they reached 185° and I'll glaze mine next time.

Upvote 0
I had a bit of luck tonight. I was just starting my bike ride and less than two blocks from home when I rode past a house that had a stack of Styrofoam coolers at the curb. I turned around and gave them a look. They were all styrofoam insulin boxes. That is what I have used for years when I speak of putting my cook in the hot box to rest. They are just like a cheap styrofoam cooler except the bottom top and sides are all around four inches thick. There was a note taped to them saying FREE. I rode home and got my truck and returned. A lady came out as I was loading one and I told her how grateful and how I planned to use it. She said they were insulin shipping boxes and please take as many as I wanted. I ended up taking three. I'll give one to my son, take one to the cabin, and toss my old box and use a new one.

Upvote 0
What a great idea! The Darling Bride gets a monthly injection (not insulin) that comes in one of those little coolers AND with two reusable freezer packs. I hate tossing those packs, but there are only so many I can keep in surplus. But I'll hold back a couple of these for resting the steaks... great thinking, @olbriar!

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
What a great idea! The Darling Bride gets a monthly injection (not insulin) that comes in one of those little coolers AND with two reusable freezer packs. I hate tossing those packs, but there are only so many I can keep in surplus. But I'll hold back a couple of these for resting the steaks... great thinking, @olbriar!
I've had cook interrupted by unforeseen circumstances and returned to my meat after four plus hours of resting in my hot box to find the meat super hot. The only warning is a towel or some sort of insulator between the meat and styrofoam is advised. I've found that the hot meat will eventually disform the cooler.

Upvote 0
Today is Mother's Day as well as my wife's birthday. We often dine out to celebrate B-days but not on a national holiday. Instead of fighting the crowd, I'm cooking some ribeye steaks and baking some potatoes. I plan to marinate the steaks in Allegro, beer, and some seasonings. I'll then slow smoke them until I see 107° internal temp and then put a quick sear on them with the Weber. I hope they are some kind of wonderful.

Upvote 0
Enjoy and happy HUGE DAY to your Darling Bride! My Darling Bride requested rotisserie chicken, saffron rice and Brussels sprouts this evening, and that's what she'll have. I coat the whole chicken with olive oil and dust it with Cavender's seasoning: pop it into the Showtime Rotisserie at 15 min/pound; then let it rotate for 5 minutes on no heat (to distribute the juices in the meat); then carve & serve. Super easy.

Upvote 0
I'm cooking some bacon on the grill. Light dinner of BLT's after Mother's day lunch. I was at the store getting some fresh tomatoes and bread and they had whole brisket packers for $3.99/lb. I couldn't resist since I haven't seen them for less than $9.99 in a while. I separated the flat and point and put them in the freezer. I may cook one next weekend, but we'll see. I really wanted to grab two, but there were only three on the shelf and two guys behind me eyeing them as well. I'll check back in later in the week to see if they have more.

Upvote 0
Tonight is our DAV & VFW meetings, so we'll have two choices for dinner... take it or leave it...

Tomorrow, I believe the Darling Bride will use the leftover chicken to make something with the cheese tortellini she had me buy. Wednesday, I'll probably make Caprese Salad for two.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones