• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Applications not Fully Installed Still Take Up Space

ZycroNeXuS

Lurker
May 27, 2014
Hello, I've got a Visual Land tablet running Jelly Bean, and while I always encounter at least a few errors attempting to do tasks, but I work around them. This, however, is beyond anything I know.

My tablet doesn't support Google, so I can't get anything Google related, such as the Play Store. This means I have to use Amazon Appstore, and recently the Appstore was giving away about 10 dollars worth of Amazon Coins, which I used to buy Sorcery! by Steve Jackson.

I attempted to download the game, but it failed during installation: App not installed. I thought maybe it didn't have enough space. I checked the SD card and the internal storage, and lo and behold: the SD card was full.

I uninstalled some things, and figured that it ought to be enough. So I started the download again. It failed again. I thought I cleared enough space, but I checked again...the SD card was completely full! The amounts of data the remaining applications had didn't add up to the 4.6GB that I'm normally alotted, but it was still full. I figured that while the installations were failing, the data that DID make it on the SD card wasn't gone when it failed.

There isn't any listing for Sorcery! on the applications list, so I don't know how I'm supposed to clear out that space. I can deal with the actual error later, though we CAN discuss it after this problem is solved. How do I remove the application data that became a stowaway on my SD card?

Also, as a side note, I don't know much about the inner workings of the Android system, so if we get into anything more technical than file paths, I will likely need you to elaborate. I can't get any apps that aren't in the Amazon Appstore.

1) Apps install to internal storage, so the fact that the external SD card is full makes no difference.

2) A failed installation won't uninstall data it's installed. Data will normally be in the /data folder, but you'll have to be rooted to get in there and delete folders for specific (not fully installed) apps.

3) No matter how much you delete from the external SD card, you still have to delete enough from internal storage to have enough space to install apps. Even if you're running an app that installs apps to external storage, they install to internal storage, then get moved. If there's not enough internal storage, they don't get installed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones