• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps and Launcher on Android Based Set Top Box

ArgusF

Lurker
May 24, 2019
Hi everyone!

I recently moved to the Caribbean and had a set top box installed along with an antenna. The system runs on Android 7.0 but the provider has their own interface installed by default. The box supports wi-fi, bluetooth and a range of other features that are normally hidden in the default interface. The only part of stock Android interface that's visible is the settings menu.

I managed to install Chrome with a USB drive and it's working perfectly fine. The issues I'm having however are two-fold:

1) How can I launch apps once installed without a regular interface? Currently the only solution I have is to install the app every time and then open it from the option after installation.

2) Can I install a more user friendly launcher that launches by default while still having access to the original interface to actually watch TV?

Thanks in advance!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones