• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Apps2sd vs Link2sd (and internal storage) explained

From my own experience:

Having used Link2sd for a while because i was initially always having errors with a2sd. I decided to switch roms as I normally do every few weeks depending on my mood. Doing a titanium backup of all my installed apps and reinstalling every one of them. I can say that using L2sd uses a lot of internal memory still, even with dalvik moved. Using Link2sd my free space was between 40 and 52mb, and I was happy with that because it was never lower than 40mb. Now having the same amount of apps installed while using A2sd and s2e, I now have 149mb free.

So, in the long run a2sd is superior.

props to darktremor and inigo
Replied on phone that's why its jacked up

Thanks for your efforts and reporting this, very helpful.

I'd like to try the same someday. I do not have any problems with link2sd like you describe though, which makes me wonder if its a configuration error of some kind. If its true that

a2sd uses less space, I'm also curious as to the technical reason why.

Upvote 0
Replied on phone that's why its jacked up

Thanks for your efforts and reporting this, very helpful.

I'd like to try the same someday. I do not have any problems with link2sd like you describe though, which makes me wonder if its a configuration error of some kind. If its true that

a2sd uses less space, I'm also curious as to the technical reason why.

Link2sd makes a symlink for each item (app, dalvik entry, lib file) and leaves the folder on the device.
These links are similar to a shortcut in windows. They are small but they still add up.
The darktremor script makes only one symlink (for the folder) so nothing else is on internal.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone. Is there a way to view the contents of the second partition thru pc? If it can, what is the name of the program? Thank you. :)

If your going to use the phone to do it then yes. You can use the terminal emulator to get info on pretty much everything regarding the partition. The only downside is you'll need to know how to get around using linux commands.

Now if you are referring to seeing the partition on your PC, then no.
You will need to have a card reader to read your microSD. You won't be able to do it using the phone. On a side note if your using windows your going to have a really REALLY difficult time reading EXT2-EXT4 partitions. This format is used on Linux/Unix operating systems. The easiest fix for this is to download a LiveCD of an operating system like Ubuntu. Put it in your computer and restart the PC. It should boot into the operating system from the CD. (No it doesn't install anything). You should be able to access the partitions like that and view the content. I will remind you though that you will need to have a card reader to read the MicroSD. It won't work with the USB dongle to the phone.

Reactions: turtledroid12
Upvote 0
If your going to use the phone to do it then yes. You can use the terminal emulator to get info on pretty much everything regarding the partition. The only downside is you'll need to know how to get around using linux commands.

Now if you are referring to seeing the partition on your PC, then no.
You will need to have a card reader to read your microSD. You won't be able to do it using the phone. On a side note if your using windows your going to have a really REALLY difficult time reading EXT2-EXT4 partitions. This format is used on Linux/Unix operating systems. The easiest fix for this is to download a LiveCD of an operating system like Ubuntu. Put it in your computer and restart the PC. It should boot into the operating system from the CD. (No it doesn't install anything). You should be able to access the partitions like that and view the content. I will remind you though that you will need to have a card reader to read the MicroSD. It won't work with the USB dongle to the phone.

Thank you Xruptor. That was very informative. :)

Upvote 0
I honestly don't know either. Technically, if you felt like doing so, you could actually do a type of pseudo mount on a directory and fool the app into thinking it's using another partition when it really isn't.

This seems foolish to me, but I guess they have some sort of reason for doing it since they all work that way.
Not sure why you are advocating using a single partition (via Darktremors App2SD) rather than Link2SD if you don't understand that.

The whole point of two partitions is that the first one becomes unavailable as soon as you connect it to a PC (or other device that mounts that partition). If the apps are held there, they will stop working until the partition is unmounted. Having them on a second partition prevents this problem occurring. Obviously, if you choose to mount the second partition, then all bets are off.

Upvote 0
Not sure why you are advocating using a single partition (via Darktremors App2SD) rather than Link2SD if you don't understand that.

The whole point of two partitions is that the first one becomes unavailable as soon as you connect it to a PC (or other device that mounts that partition). If the apps are held there, they will stop working until the partition is unmounted. Having them on a second partition prevents this problem occurring. Obviously, if you choose to mount the second partition, then all bets are off.

AHHH! Zombie Thread has risen from the dead!!!:D

But seriously, this thread is quite old. The post you quoted was from last year. I've not heard about about link2SD around here in a while, and Apps2SD was last updated in May, after a long hiatus.

About your comment, I'm not currently using either program, but I would imagine if someone was in USB storage mode, they would only be transferring files to and from their phone, not working directly off it for any great length of time. Losing access to apps for thirty seconds wouldn't be such a big deal, compared to losing the extra space dedicated to the partition and having to re-format and re-partition every time you wanted to change it. Also, this was an explanation to newbie people on the differences between the two programs. its a lot easier not having to explain to less knowledgeable people how to partition. Anyone smart enough to figure out what you figured out probably doesn't need a guide on the subject.

It's all irrelevant, the smart people have discovered how to mount secondary partitions directly into internal memory without need of an external program. Check out KoumaKernel or the guide in my sig.

Reactions: Lordvincent 90
Upvote 0
1st things first...
Other more informed people can nit-pick this or that detail, this software can do X, that software can't do Y, etc., etc., etc.... I'm not talking about those details...
Let me add to the Choir...
Job well done on Kamel's original post.

For one thing, it explained to me that there _IS_ a difference between "App2sd" and"Apps2sd", and I was NOT crazy to think there was something very fundamental that I didn't understand.

2nd:
Now that the Hosanna (or praise) has been done, let me explain several things about our family's cell phone usage, before I get to my question(s):

We are long time subscribers to T-Mobile (USA). We're NOT going to switch to another carrier. One thing T-Mobile does that nobody else (in the US) does, is "Wi-Fi Calling" {...and we're still "grandfathered" in under the old plan}. This is one feature we have and wanted to keep in an old Samsung T339 flip phone (non-Android of course). When we needed it replaced via an insurance replacement (to make a loooong story short) we were instead supplied with an HTC Wildfire S. So, now I'm trying to make more memory available on what is now a spare phone for us, _BUT_ I can NOT sacrifice the "Wi-Fi Calling" firmware that's built into this phone.

It's my understanding that as a GENERAL rule of thumb, if I want to keep the Wi-Fi Calling firmware intact, this means I can NOT flash the ROM in this phone. (Yes, I know, there is one ROM that may work, but its legality is questionable.) So, there's no "CyanogenMod" in our phone's future(s).

As a result, I am limited in my choice of the Application-to-SD-Card software choices that this forum's topic is discussing.

I currently have a 4GB (Sandisk) microSD card in the phone (no speedcode printed on its surface).
I _AM_ willing to go to my local "MicroCenter" store and purchase a 16 or 32GB microSD card (probably speedcode 10) and place a partition on it. However, as of this writing that has not (yet) been done.

With these pieces of information tossed up for your consideration...
Does anyone have a suggestion as to which app I should choose?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

NSW

Upvote 0
What part of an app is safest? In one sense it doesn't matter, since it the card fails any apps you have moved will break regardless of what parts you have moved. Moving app data will have the greatest impact on performance and wear on the card, since that is what's written to most often, whereas the actual app components are only written when the app is installed or updated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones