• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bad battery or bad phone (design)?

Got the LG G5 H820 (yeah, I know that was a bad choice not to get a phone one can root)

6 months in, it is behaving very erratically when OFF the charger. I am talking device crash-reboots, and often no reboot when it is a greater-than-50% charge in it

Possibly could be that the battery is at end of life (OEM after only 6 months!) or that the software-hardware interface to battery charge detection is faulty

At this point, the thing does not want to behave off its charger.

I'm going to forge ahead and probably get high energy (mAmp-hours) battery pair with external charger since that seems to be a significant seller for the G5, admitting what a garbage power system it over-utilizes.

If this ends up being a headache, I guess it's time to add LG to the crossed-off make list along with Huawei.

Note, I am the guy who buys at the low to mid-range of a make's product line..looking for bargains on loss leaders.

Ooh gonna watch this one. I remember looking at the G5 a while back in a T-Mobile store. There sat a G5, in one of those corded clamp traps for a phone display, with a battery so swollen, the back case was pushing off of the phone, splitting away from the mounting teeth. The screen was also looking like it was being pressed out from behind but trapped by the mount. No sale there, thanks....

I think the G5 suffered from a big lot of junk batteries, not so much a bad device. Kinda like some Motorola phones. But why Huawei? I've bought a good amount of those phones new for real cheap and have had very few regrets with them. Which one did it in for you?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones