• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bad Update (opinion)

puppykickr

Android Expert
Feb 1, 2019
USA
An app that I have recommended many times has an update that removes some nice features.

Simple Gallery Pro will no longer have the ability to see, find, or use 'hidden' folders.
The developer claims that this is due to 'Android 11', but I have an Android 11 and the hidden files stuff worked great.

So, add this to my growing number of apps to not update.

I use Simple Gallery Pro on Android 12 and, so far, the hidden folders work well. I'm living proof that it's not due to "Android 11".

Yes, my experience was the same- until the most recent F-Droid update.

So with som searching through the changlog, I discovered that Google has changed policy on app handling for hidden files.

Also, there are versions available on F-Droid (or GitHub) that are not available on Google Play.

Not just that, the version I had before, 6.22.3 , is not showing up in F-Droid anymore.

I went ahead and exported settings, uninstalled the app, then sent the old apk from another device.

Luckily, the settings were easy to import, and all is right again.

So, do this if it happens to you.

What version are you using now?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones