• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery app that auto-updates power level?

paulri

Sep 2, 2013
I have had two apps on my Android phone. I like everything about how they work, except the fact that the power level reading on the app icon remains the same until I open the app to see the power level. In other words, if I open up the app to check power level, it might read 90 (for 90%). Then, that 90 will stay on the app's icon on my home page until I check it hours later, at which point it would read something like 50.

Is there an app that will change the number on the app icon, so I don't have to press the icon and then open up the app itself? Its not that doing this is so much work; its just that when I look at my phone, it is easy for me to see the number 90 and think that is how much battery life I have left.

Maybe you need to exclude your app from battery optimisation?

Some of the custom clock widgets I've made with KWGT include a battery level, and I've never seen this problem (but see above). I've not tried anything else for years. But as others have said, most phones let you put the battery % on the status bar anyway.

Upvote 0
I did look into my optimization settings, and I don't believe the battery has been optimized lately. This is the first time I've looked at that setting, though, but that app was not listed as one of the ones put to sleep lately.

Maybe you need to exclude your app from battery optimisation?

Some of the custom clock widgets I've made with KWGT include a battery level, and I've never seen this problem (but see above). I've not tried anything else for years. But as others have said, most phones let you put the battery % on the status bar anyway.

Upvote 0
I'd make sure it is explicitly set to be excluded, or as Android 13 calls it "unrestricted" (I do wish they'd change the names a little less often). The simplest explanation for what you see is that the app isn't able to run in the background, and in A13 (what I have in front of me) that's the most obvious setting to change that.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll look into that and report back if I can't find out how to do that.

I'd make sure it is explicitly set to be excluded, or as Android 13 calls it "unrestricted" (I do wish they'd change the names a little less often). The simplest explanation for what you see is that the app isn't able to run in the background, and in A13 (what I have in front of me) that's the most obvious setting to change that.

Upvote 0
Its not needless at all. I use reading glasses, and the number on the icon makes the power level much easier to see.
You didn't say, in your original post, what 2 apps you were using. I have to use cheaters also and can't read the status bar without them.
I've been using G-Sam for quite a few years to give me an at a glance look at my battery status.

Upvote 0
The first one I don't remember, the current app is Battery Ace.

Thanks for the recommendation, if I want to try a new app, I'll give that a shot. $2.50 for that is a bargain.

Interestingly enough, since I started this thread, the app has been working as desired--as the battery power dropped, so has the number on the icon. I think the poking around Hadron had me do, must have done something. Or else, maybe its kind of like when you take your car to a mechanic and that strange noise disappears. :unsure:

You didn't say, in your original post, what 2 apps you were using. I have to use cheaters also and can't read the status bar without them.
I've been using G-Sam for quite a few years to give me an at a glance look at my battery status.

Upvote 0
Interestingly enough, since I started this thread, the app has been working as desired--as the battery power dropped, so has the number on the icon. I think the poking around Hadron had me do, must have done something. Or else, maybe its kind of like when you take your car to a mechanic and that strange noise disappears. :unsure:
It's like that sometimes.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones