• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Beats by dre

You're going too far. Being satisfied with the sound you get out of some 10 dollar earphones doesn't not mean you have bad hearing or hearing loss. It just means you believe the difference in price overides the difference in sound quality. I use my earphones primarily when I work out. I'm sure I could spend $300 and be blown away by the sound coming out of the earphones, but honestly, it's just not that serious to me. Can I hear the different, yes. Is that different worth spending 10 - 20 times as much? In my opinion, no.

But I think it does imply some sort of hearing issue. Someone with good, robust hearing ability should be dissatisfied with a cheap pair of earbuds and their price point would at least be high enough to overcome the issues inherent in poor quality 'phones.

I would never think of using a $300 set of headphones while working out; I can and do compromise on quality in certain situations (earbuds from my old old cell phone are what I use when I can't be bothered with a bulky set of good cans) but that's only because they sound sufficiently good enough.

I guess this is just one area where I can't put myself in someone else's place. The idea of cheap, tinny headphones or earbuds being "good enough" is just totally foreign to me because I enjoy music so much, and I want to hear as much of it as possible.

A while back I had travelled to visit some relatives in another part of the state, but I forgot my little earbuds. So I went to Wally-Mart and bought some Skullcandy earbuds for $20 and they were the most awful things I'd ever put in my ears. They actually physically HURT my ears they were so incredibly mid-rangey. There was no bass and what little treble above about 5 kHz was shrill and noisy. So when I hear someone say they're happy with something even cheaper (or, heavens, the earbuds that come with an iPhone) it does kinda make me cringe because I've experienced that level of sound reproduction and it physically hurt.

And yes, I returned the earbuds to Wally-Mart after a few days. I'd rather do without than have them.

Upvote 0
But I think it does imply some sort of hearing issue. Someone with good, robust hearing ability should be dissatisfied with a cheap pair of earbuds and their price point would at least be high enough to overcome the issues inherent in poor quality 'phones.

I would never think of using a $300 set of headphones while working out; I can and do compromise on quality in certain situations (earbuds from my old old cell phone are what I use when I can't be bothered with a bulky set of good cans) but that's only because they sound sufficiently good enough.

I guess this is just one area where I can't put myself in someone else's place. The idea of cheap, tinny headphones or earbuds being "good enough" is just totally foreign to me because I enjoy music so much, and I want to hear as much of it as possible.

A while back I had travelled to visit some relatives in another part of the state, but I forgot my little earbuds. So I went to Wally-Mart and bought some Skullcandy earbuds for $20 and they were the most awful things I'd ever put in my ears. They actually physically HURT my ears they were so incredibly mid-rangey. There was no bass and what little treble above about 5 kHz was shrill and noisy. So when I hear someone say they're happy with something even cheaper (or, heavens, the earbuds that come with an iPhone) it does kinda make me cringe because I've experienced that level of sound reproduction and it physically hurt.

And yes, I returned the earbuds to Wally-Mart after a few days. I'd rather do without than have them.

Maybe I just got lucky. Mine have great bass and do not sound tinny in any way. I've demoed Beats, Bose, and Klipsch headphones in the past. Klipsch is the only one that seemed significantly better than my skullcandies imo. However I will say I have listened to my music way to loud for way to long. It is possible my eras are a little off. Also, I cant see myself EVER spending more than $75 for headphones. No, I am not poor, just frugal.

Upvote 0
Fashion is all that Beats is. So many good headphones out there, it's a shame to see people wasting so much money on the Beats crap. Unless, that is, if your main objective is to look "fashionable". ;)

It's just the brand to have when it comes to headphones. I'd say about 90-95% of over the head headphones at my gym after beats by Dre.

Upvote 0
There's nothing wrong with being frugal, and I apologize for my uncharacteristic insult about hearing. I am just too passionate about sound quality sometimes.

Just curious but what are the main genres of music that you listen to? I feel that certain ones lend to different needs in sound quality. For me I prefer to hear voices over the music itself.

Upvote 0
Just curious but what are the main genres of music that you listen to? I feel that certain ones lend to different needs in sound quality. For me I prefer to hear voices over the music itself.

Mostly oldies, electronic, pre war blues and some classic rock.

Either my ears or brain are bad for voices. No matter how clear the singing in music, I can never decipher the lyrics. Even if I eq up the range of vocal frequencies, I still have a hard time hearing and remembering what's said.

Upvote 0
Mostly oldies, electronic, pre war blues and some classic rock.

Either my ears or brain are bad for voices. No matter how clear the singing in music, I can never decipher the lyrics. Even if I eq up the range of vocal frequencies, I still have a hard time hearing and remembering what's said.

Ha ha I don't have that hard a time with lyrics, but occasionally I'll look some up and go "What?" I've been saying that wrong for years.

Upvote 0
Ha ha I don't have that hard a time with lyrics, but occasionally I'll look some up and go "What?" I've been saying that wrong for years.

I've got favorite bands that I've listened to for literally decades where I still don't know anywhere near complete lyrics in songs I've heard a hundred times. It's that bad.

But the music? I usually get it, along with most of the nuances, first time or two. I think it has something to do with my super-pickyness when it comes to sound quality from headphones. I really do think I'm hearing more than most casual listeners. It's a blessing to be so "in tune" so to speak with audio but a curse because I'm just never happy with what I'm hearing.

Upvote 0
Hey guys I've had my Beats since 2009! They are awesome and I love them! They look and sound awesome! I mostly like electronica and some metal here and there.

The only problem I've had with them is their really shitty battery life. I just found out about a company that has been developing a lithium ion battery pack upgrade for the beat. They are saying you can get something like 2-3 times the battery life, and you can also charge while you listen. I thought that was sweet so I bought a 'Beatjuice' Lol! Figgure why not upgrade these puppies because I love them so much.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones