• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bluetooth codec

I am in Developer Options > Bluetooth audio codec. I change SBC to aptX.

I leave Developer options but when I return Bluetooth audio codec reverts to SBC.

What I am doing wrong?

Any advice please?

Check if your BT headphones or speakers actually supports aptX
. Not all BT audio devices do. Similar with the LDAC, and AAC codecs.

With some phones, the Developer options allows you to select any codec even if it isn't supported by the BT headphones or speakers, and it will just revert to a supported one like SBC. Other phones, the unsupported codecs will be greyed out, and can't be selected. My Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra is the latter.

I often listen with Sony WH1000XM3 headphones, and those do support LDAC, aptX, AAC, and SBC codecs. And when I go in to the phone's Developer options, LDAC is always the default selection.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For information, here's a list of BT headphones and headsets that officially support aptX.
https://www.aptx.com/product-listing?product_category=7

I have played with the audio settings in developers options before, and had the same experience as yourself.

I figure that I don't have an app that is able to make uae of such settings, and so they revert to the default

Usually it's the BT audio device itself, either they support certain codecs or they don't. All BT headphones and speakers must support SBC though, as that's in the specs for the A2DP stereo music profile. Other codecs are optional for manufacturers, like aptX licensed from Qualcomm, or LDAC licensed from Sony.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones