• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bluetooth range extremely dropped after 4.4.2 update !

So this is pretty sad but I read it on another forum. Hit the back of your phone with your palm a few times (carefully). This worked for several people. I tried it and my wifi and Bluetooth just kicked on. This is a pretty ridiculous fix but hey it worked. Let me know if this worked for any of yall that we're having the same issue.

Upvote 0
Hi

I have a samsung note 2, and a plantronics blue tooth head set. My android os got automatically upgraded to 4.4.2 and immediately the bluetooth connection got erratic, with crackling and of and on disconnection/reconnection, and very poor audio quality.

was all set for doing a roll back to earlier version, but just thought i would try something else. Manually i tried to look for software update on the settings page. A 60 MB file was downloadable, on installing which the problem has been rectified and my bluetooth headset is as before.

do try it before doing any extensive roll back.

frankly samsung has a responsibility to provide options for roll back of software versions on their phones

thanks
H Ramesh
Hello,

As soon as I update my Note 2's Android version to 4.4.2, bluetooth devices started to disconnect. This issue started to happen around 1 week before, just after I update my phone. I was expecting to solve it by myself but I couldn't do it. Please help me.

Bluetooth devices only work within 30-50 cm range right now. I can't use them even if my Note2 is located in my bag.

I used to play music by using BackBeat Go2 while my phone is located next room before this update

It seems like Bluetooth is working but signal power is extremely low. If I ever put my hand around BackBeat Go2, BT disconnects now.

I have been using my Note II with "Gear2" and "BackBeat Go 2" accessories without any issue prior to 4.4.2 update.

Details:
my phone: GT-N7100
Android version: 4.4.2
N7100XXUFND3

affected bluetooth devices:
Plantronics BackBeat Go 2
Samsung GEAR 2
(I have no other bluetooth devices other than these)

My phone is not rooted and bought from a retail store.
Update was done by official ways.

what I have done to solve this issue?:
- tried to remove bluetooth pairings (doesn't work)
- backup my data and HARD RESET my phone (doesn't work)
- started a live-chat with my local Samsung help desk (they said: "go to service" :) )

Does any of you have/had a similar bluetooth issue after update?
What should I do now ?

Upvote 0
I connected my phone to Kies today for backing the data up and going to the store for the resolution to this bluetooth issue. The Kies 3 asked me to update some files which i did and then it prompted me to upgrade my phone to the same version which was already there in my phone. On proceeding with the firmware upgrade (did finish my backup before to ensure no loss of data) which finished within an hour, Kies asked me to reboot. On doing the same and testing the bluetooth it is working well and tried testing it over a 10 meter limit and am able to hear it well (earlier it would disconnect/crackle within 1 meter). Now onto the camera checks (the camera resolution had dropped and the photo quality had become terrible) and will update the forum.

Solution: Connect to Kies 3 (u need to download this version and if u already have it then some support files may need to be download) and upgrade your firmware to the same filename (maybe the filesizes are different). This worked for me in India.

Upvote 0
Hello,

As soon as I update my Note 2's Android version to 4.4.2, bluetooth devices started to disconnect. This issue started to happen around 1 week before, just after I update my phone. I was expecting to solve it by myself but I couldn't do it. Please help me.

Bluetooth devices only work within 30-50 cm range right now. I can't use them even if my Note2 is located in my bag.

I used to play music by using BackBeat Go2 while my phone is located next room before this update

It seems like Bluetooth is working but signal power is extremely low. If I ever put my hand around BackBeat Go2, BT disconnects now.

I have been using my Note II with "Gear2" and "BackBeat Go 2" accessories without any issue prior to 4.4.2 update.

Details:
N7100XXUFND3

Samsung GEAR 2

- started a live-chat with my local Samsung help desk (they said: "go to service" :) )

What should I do now ?

Upvote 0
Go to best buy and ask for samsung experiance shot . Ask them to reflash software . I had the same problem and got solved that way
Hello,

Details:
N7100XXUFND3

Samsung GEAR 2

What should I do now ?

Upvote 0
Same thing happened to me except I have a Verizon ellipse tablet. Prior to the software update my tablet could be on the opposite end my of house and would hold a strong signal.

Now after the 4.4.2 update I get a choppy signal even if I'm sitting next to the speaker. My educated guess is the firmware scaled back power to the Bluetooth amplifier

I mailed the tablet in to Verizon and they sent it back saying its fine.

Needless to say I'm furious!!

Upvote 0
I have a Note 2. I noticed I had the same problem last year around July when I downloaded the new software (Kitkat 4.4.2) for my cell. When I was downloading the new software my phone would not complete the download after half way through it so I had removed the battery from it and restarted my cell then restarted the download again till it was complete. I think that's what messed up my phone lol. Today I had taken it to Best Buy to have them reflash my software and when it was done I went home to check it and it worked great! Before it was only working from a few inches from the receiver and now after pairing, I had walked to almost 300 ft from my receiver and still would not loose blutooth reception. I am so happy again.

Upvote 0
For those who are still having this problem of bluetooth and wifi drop.. most probable cause is the hardware.. in my note 2 i also have 3mtrs and stuttering connection. Updating from earliest ver upto 4.2.2 doesnt fixed it. Fixed is to clean the antenna contact. Procedure is given in other blog. I have seen that the contact is already corroded. Clean it but be careful bec its the metal strip is thin and may scratch off.

Upvote 0
Crap! The bluetooth issues are back. The issue is when i make/receive calls at home (home wifi). Anyone know why home wifi/bluetooth/android don't get along?

Maybe not what you want to hear, but I've been using Samsung's own headsets for the last year: First a Gear Circle and right now a Level U. These just work with no issues at all. Before that, I tried various Jabra and Sony headsets, and had issues with all of them. I still have occasional issues with the phone connection to my car. I'm guessing the issues must be related to Samsung's implementation of the bluetooth protocols. And of course, they make sure that their own headsets work :)

Reactions: fiddle
Upvote 0
Maybe not what you want to hear, but I've been using Samsung's own headsets for the last year: First a Gear Circle and right now a Level U. These just work with no issues at all. Before that, I tried various Jabra and Sony headsets, and had issues with all of them. I still have occasional issues with the phone connection to my car. I'm guessing the issues must be related to Samsung's implementation of the bluetooth protocols. And of course, they make sure that their own headsets work :)

Thanks. I like my Plantronics bluetooth, though. Not sure why it was working before and the range dropped during a call last night. Hopefully reflashing the phone will do the trick...again...:-(

Upvote 0
My issue is location independent (not an issue with wifi), but severe. I have a J7 and plantronics BT. I can't even put my phone in my pocket and use the BT; the distance is too long. I have to carry my phone in my hand on the same side as the BT ear in order for the BT to work. This is a rather recent problem. Used to be that BT worked across the house! Not a problem with the BT as I have two of them and I have also noticed the problem with a Neutron BT speaker.

Upvote 0
My issue is location independent (not an issue with wifi), but severe. I have a J7 and plantronics BT. I can't even put my phone in my pocket and use the BT; the distance is too long. I have to carry my phone in my hand on the same side as the BT ear in order for the BT to work. This is a rather recent problem. Used to be that BT worked across the house! Not a problem with the BT as I have two of them and I have also noticed the problem with a Neutron BT speaker.

perhaps you'd be better advised to ask your question in its own thread.. instead of at the bottom of a thread relating to an update for a different device from several years ago....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones