• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth speaker delay

Audio to BT speakers and BT headphones will usually have some latency, but should be no more than about 0.2 to 0.4 seconds.

There are some "zero latency" BT audio devices made that use aptX rather than the default SBC codec, but the BT devices must specifically support aptX. Things like studio monitors, gaming headsets, etc where no audio latency might be important.

I'm using BT speakers on a Raspberry Pi with Kodi, and I just tweek the Audio Offset in the player settings a bit, and any movie audio has perfect lip-sync then.
Screenshot_20190504_144456.jpg

I've set the Audio Offset ahead by 0.36 seconds, and that does compensate for the BT latency in my speakers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Audio to BT speakers and BT headphones will usually have some latency, but should be no more than about 0.2 to 0.4 seconds.

There are some "zero latency" BT audio devices made that use aptX rather than the default SBC codec, but the BT devices must specifically support aptX. Things like studio monitors, gaming headsets, etc where no audio latency might be important.

I'm using BT speakers on a Raspberry Pi with Kodi, and I just tweek the Audio Offset in the player settings a bit, and any movie audio has perfect lip-sync then.
View attachment 141657
I've set the Audio Offset ahead by 0.36 seconds, and that does compensate for the BT latency in my speakers.
I get this now, so it's the speaker and not my phone. It's a more of a budget speaker I got, a cheap Sony one so I guess that's why. I just downloaded this Kodi and set the audio offset to ahead by 0.53, the audio sync is perfect now. It'd be good if Kodi had its own build in browser so I can sync online streaming too. Thanks for the app suggestion :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones