• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

bluetooth

planethax

Aug 9, 2010
So once again I find my magic lacking.

Wanting to use bluetooth and connect to my PC to find there is no support no serial connection etc (my sons $30 pay as you go NON smart phone has all this)

My qusetion, if I root phone and use a different rom can I get more bluetooth functionality? beable to connect via virtual serial port?
or is it a hard limitation and need to move on to a different device?

Thanx.

You don't need new ROM, just root the phone and use program called "Bluetooth file transfer" to connect to PC (like I do).
Or flash any Froyo ROM (Froyo supports serial bluetooth connection).

Thanx!
I am able to send files, but what I am wanting to do is make a program (vb6) to send/receive sms and call from my PC via bluetooth and the Magic.

So it I use a Froyo Rom I can get more Bluetooth function-ability?

Upvote 0
According to Google there's no big improvement between 2.1 and 2.2, but you can try it. Sorry for previous mentioning of bluetooth serial interface just in Froyo, I think it's also in older versions, maybe in Froyo it's just less crippled than in Eclair (definitely SPP was working on my G1 with Froyo).
Bluetooth | Android Open Source
BluetoothSocket | Android Developers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones