• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

BYO(S)D - Used Airaves

willis68nova

Nov 1, 2012
I found this very interesting and very helpful for me. Ting now supports Bring Your Own (Sprint) Device for the Airaves. If you don't know what an Airave is, here goes. It is basically your own small cell tower in your house! It runs over your high speed internet connection and creates great 3g reception in your house. So I went onto ebay in search of a used airave because I have poor Sprint service at my house. There seem to be two models that I have found: C1-600-RT (this looks like the one Ting sells) and SCS-26UCS (this is the one I got). There are some differences between the two but in the end they do the same function. So I ended up paying $20 shipped for mine. What a great deal considering they are usually $150+ when new. Just thought I would give a heads up for anyone sketchy about Ting because of Sprint service at their house.

Willis

And also don't be confused, some people post them as signal boosters on ebay. They do not boost the signal in your house. The actually create a 3g signal in your house from the device itself and then it terminates on the internet side.
Also be mindful you need to be in an airave supported area for this to work, here is the link to check out if you are located in an ariave area: Is AIRAVE service available at this address?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones