• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cable Internet v. Fiber

Steven58

Former Heavyweight Champion of AF-Early Bird Club
Feb 19, 2010
USA
I moved to a new area. I took my Xfinity with me. I am up to 1.2 gb download and about 40 upload. It works fine. Now, there's another service in the area called Windstream Fiber. I can get up to 1gb down AND up, theoretically. Can you folks give me your experiences with cable vs fiber? If someone has had Windstream, can you recommend it? I work from home so speed and consistency of connection is very important to me. I thank you in advance.

Cable everyone shares the same cable to the provider. So if everyone holds on at the same time, your speeds will show down drastically. But with fiber, each house gets its own fiber optic, so during peak hours you will not get this slow down. That's the main difference that I see. If your in a neighborhood with not that many people, you show down speed might not be that significant. For me I switched, just recently actually. I did it cuz I always wanted fiber for the constant speeds. I noticed that in the evening things would slow down very noticeably. I am glad I switched.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just emailed the salesman to give it a try. If I choose it over my Xfinity, I'll have a 250.00 penalty for cancelling but this is for my business, so it's important. I've heard horror stories about Windstream though, so I'm cautious. I'm going to have the both internet connections active at once. I'll switch between the two for about a month, then make my decision. Ty all!

Upvote 0
spam GIF

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones