• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Calling Moto Nexus 6 and LG Nexus 5X users

alfick3

Android Expert
Feb 7, 2011
DFW, TX
So, I'm going back and forth between the idea of getting a Nexus 6 or the Nexus 5X come March after I get my tax refund. Swappa has decent prices on both phones, and they can be had in good to mostly mint condition. I like the idea of the 3 Gigs of RAM on the N6 and the larger screen, as well as the 64 Gig of internal storage. On the other hand, I'm liking the idea of getting the current generation of Nexus device in the 5X. It does lack the larger screen, and it also lacks wireless charging. Currently the only device I own with wireless charging is a N7 (2013), but I don't use it. It's not like I'll miss it. My current phone is the 1st gen Moto G XT1034. What I'm wanting to know here, who has either phone (or both for that matter) and is/was using them on Metro. How do you like them? Do you get the band 12? etc. Just trying to get ideas and thoughts to help me decide when March rolls around.

Thanks.

Nexus 6 is band12 enabled. But from what I read about byop on Metropcs, and not getting tethering because it is a byop, I brought mine to Sprint. I dont like the look/feel of the new Nexus phones 5 or 6 (6 looks like a periscope)
I love the raw horsepower of the unskined stock android, and super screen.

Motorola Nexus 6 XT1103

http://www.spectrumgateway.com/compatible-phones

Upvote 0
Nexus 6 is band12 enabled. But from what I read about byop on Metropcs, and not getting tethering because it is a byop, I brought mine to Sprint. I dont like the look/feel of the new Nexus phones 5 or 6 (6 looks like a periscope)
I love the raw horsepower of the unskined stock android, and super screen.

Motorola Nexus 6 XT1103

http://www.spectrumgateway.com/compatible-phones
Thanks for the good website.

Upvote 0
The recent Nexus 6 phone deal(s) were sweet and almost tempted me into purchasing one for no reason. They were $200 on black friday for the 32GB model and the 64GB model was $260. Since that black friday deal, the phones have gone on similar sales to help clear out inventory. In the philly area, you can purchase the 32GB BNIB for $225 or so. Bang for your buck, I like the Nexus 6. Come March, prices will change but I don't think you will go wrong with either. I suggest heading to Best Buy or a different store so you can try the phones in your hand. The 6 could be a big difference for you on size alone. The 6p may be the happy medium and could be within a decent price range for a mint condition from swappa come tax time. Is there a reason you havent mentioned teh 6p? Are the looks throwing you off? The back definitely is not pleasing to the eyes for me.

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0
The recent Nexus 6 phone deal(s) were sweet and almost tempted me into purchasing one for no reason. They were $200 on black friday for the 32GB model and the 64GB model was $260. Since that black friday deal, the phones have gone on similar sales to help clear out inventory. In the philly area, you can purchase the 32GB BNIB for $225 or so. Bang for your buck, I like the Nexus 6. Come March, prices will change but I don't think you will go wrong with either. I suggest heading to Best Buy or a different store so you can try the phones in your hand. The 6 could be a big difference for you on size alone. The 6p may be the happy medium and could be within a decent price range for a mint condition from swappa come tax time. Is there a reason you havent mentioned teh 6p? Are the looks throwing you off? The back definitely is not pleasing to the eyes for me.
I've been watching the prices on Swappa inching downward on both the 6 and the 5X. Actually, for the 6 it's more like a fall until a certain plateau and now they've been inching. I hadn't mentioned the 6P, primarily, because they are way outside my price range. I'm OK with spending upwards of $350 for a phone, but not what the 6P's are going for. As far as looks go, it does take some getting used to. I don't think it's quite the face that only a mother could love, but it definitely takes some getting used to. [emoji2]

Upvote 0
Hey, get the nexus 6. It's awesome. I'll solve your tethering issue too. You are absolutely entitled to it on a BYOD. It even registers on the My metro data meter.

Connect the device with a USB cable to a computer with the Android SDK platform tools installed. Put phone on usb debugging. Plug into computer. Open terminal window
type
adb shell
hit enter.
Now you'll type
settings put global tether_dun_required 0
hit enter.
That's it! You've enabled tethering. Also, in settings. Go to APN Setting and hit fast.metropcs.com and go to
APN Protocols and change both to IPv4
That will keep your device from knowing it's on metro. You won't be prioritized below T-Mobile people.

Upvote 0
Hey, get the nexus 6. It's awesome. I'll solve your tethering issue too. You are absolutely entitled to it on a BYOD. It even registers on the My metro data meter.

Connect the device with a USB cable to a computer with the Android SDK platform tools installed. Put phone on usb debugging. Plug into computer. Open terminal window
type
adb shell
hit enter.
Now you'll type
settings put global tether_dun_required 0
hit enter.
That's it! You've enabled tethering. Also, in settings. Go to APN Setting and hit fast.metropcs.com and go to
APN Protocols and change both to IPv4
That will keep your device from knowing it's on metro. You won't be prioritized below T-Mobile people.
Thanks for that info. I think I am l leaning more towards the 6. I won't be buying until l get my tax refund in a month and a half or so.

Upvote 0
Thanks for that info. I think I am l leaning more towards the 6. I won't be buying until l get my tax refund in a month and a half or so.
You won't be disappointed. This is a beast of a phone. With 6.0.1 it's nothing short of amazing. PM me if you need a link to the page with detailed instructions on that. I'm pulling up to 80 mbps with tethering. Same with phone speeds.

Upvote 0
Update: I ended up getting a Nexus 5X used off of swappa. It has a really small scratch between the camera and the finger print sensor. I can live with that. It's the 32 gig, carbon black version. Now I'm using it on MetroPCS with full LTE and I can even WiFi tether my Nexus 7 (2013)! I am really digging having a Nexus phone.

Upvote 0
Update: I ended up getting a Nexus 5X used off of swappa. It has a really small scratch between the camera and the finger print sensor. I can live with that. It's the 32 gig, carbon black version. Now I'm using it on MetroPCS with full LTE and I can even WiFi tether my Nexus 7 (2013)! I am really digging having a Nexus phone.

Did you get the wifi calling to work. That has been a
known problem for a while.

Upvote 0
Apparently, it seems to be fixed. When I was setting up the 5X, I toggled the option for WiFi calling, now when ever in on WiFi, I get the operator as "T-Mobile WiFi calling":

041ebec0cb44a19013d308f7c8311c8a.jpg

Other than flipping the toggle for WiFi calling, I didn't do anything else.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones