• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "camera not available" error msg

Dbnguy

Jun 25, 2010
Does anyone else get this error message from time to time? Its very annoying and happens at the worst time (ie when a really super photo shot happens).

I either have to reboot my phone before it will comes right or alternatively I have to keep trying to reload the camera and sometimes on about the 4th or 5th attempt it comes right.

Can this be rectified? Is it a setting i have wrong?

:) This is such an amazing phone, but man oh man, does it have some bugs that need to be worked out :)

Thanks, Lee

I havent had that error message appear but, I have had problems with the camera before but, that was my fault. I used Startup Auditor and had it set to disable upon launch...then I updated the app and it let me select whether to always disable it when it launches...not realizing (stupidly) that it would also kill it if i manually opened it :eek:.
If it isn't a task killer or anything like that, I'd suggest updating as well.

Upvote 0
Well according to my phone, it does have the latest updates on it. Sigh, who knows. Did have startup auditor and juce defender and those 2 whacked my battery power even worse :). Have uninstalled those already, and admitedly the problem is popping up less.

Guess we will just have to wait and hope the SE update fixes all known sheet :)

Upvote 0
Don't just take the phone's word for it that it has the latest update. Connect your phone to your PC and run the Sony Ericsson Update Service. My phone kept saying it was up to date, but when I used the update service, it gave the latest firmware.

Your Build Number should be R2BA023 or R2BA024. If not then you've definitely not got the latest version.

Alternatively it could be that your provider hasn't released the update yet. Who are you with?

Upvote 0
Thanks Wooks :) Well according to my phone, I am up to date. However, I just used SEUS and I had a 144 mg update. So I downloaded and installed that and build number is 2BA023. So guess I wasnt updated after all. Guess I should stick with the SEUS updating system :)

Tried rooting my phone tonight, but just never got it right. Will try out the update first before I try rooting again :)

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your help...

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

i hav bin browsing around the forum and it looks like a very handy site with some very good advise,

i too am new to the android and like the xperia x10 i had one giving to me from a family member, couple of issues i have found is, the batt is really bad, camera seems to reboot the hadset when trying to use it sometimes,

i have the R1FA016 build and tried to update using both forms off update but still tells me im up to date, i completely wiped it and started from scratch re-installing the software from the SE site and it still put the R1FA016 back on,

the handset was on o2 but unlocked but im using it with a 3 sim, Can anyone please help me with this as id like to sort out some of the little issues,

many thanks guys,

Aaron,

Upvote 0
camera error can be rectified by two steps,

1. Connect ur phone to pc with pc companion or unmount the sd card from it. Then open the camera app.it shows a message "no sd card" or something like that.If the camera application can run in the absence of sd card do the next step.

2.Cconnect ur sd card to pc by either card reader or the device.open the drive then reset the computer setting to "show hidden files and folders" and delete thumbnails,cache in camera folders(DICM) or back up the personal data and format it.(check back up contains thumbnails,cache.....).ur camera will work finely.............................

for any doubts email me jbndas@gmail.com

Upvote 0
I get this problem with my Z3 compact. Its because I have accidentally hit the 'flashlight' option in the pull down menu & therefore the camera doesnt work when the flashlight is on. Turn off flashlight. Camera works again :)

Best option is to not use the flashlight option in the pull down & add the app to a homescreen instead.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones