• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot move apps to extsdcard

I'm trying to move my apps to an sd card (extsdcard) on my Samsung Stratosphere II however, in using ApMgrIII, I get the following message:
The device does not have a real primary external storage, or the primary external storage is emulated. Moving app to SD function cannot be supported by this device.
The card was transferred over from my old Stratosphere 1 and is accessible from the Stratosphere II's file manager. What might be going on here?

I don't know those devices but what Android version are they on?
If the OS does support moving apps to ext then maybe it needs formatted in the new phone?
Hi there, thanks for the reply! My stratosphere 2 is running 4.1.2 and I think my stratosphere 1 was running some version of icecream sandwich(?)

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I am thinking; may be your new stratosphere is reading the files in the SD card and translating it into an SD card not meant for it but the previous version. Back up your data to another external storage so that you don't lose important info... then format the SD card and try again. Hope it works.

Upvote 0
I am thinking; may be your new stratosphere is reading the files in the SD card and translating it into an SD card not meant for it but the previous version. Back up your data to another external storage so that you don't lose important info... then format the SD card and try again. Hope it works.
Hey, thanks for the response! I just formatted the card and ran into the exact same message. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I use Link2SD to link (move) apps to the SD card.
This works perfectly.
But it needs a second primary partition on the SD card.

I have used Partition Wizard Home Edition (for Windows) to shrink the SD card FAT32 partition and to create the second primary FAT32 partition on the SD card.
The newest version of Link2SD has some additional capabilities where a Linux filesystem (ext2, ext3, ext4) on the second partition would be preferable.
But I have not yet changed it and still use FAT32.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones