• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cannot send or receive MMS while on Wi-Fi

MyUsernameRox

Android Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2012
San Luis Obispo, CA
This is a problem I've been experiencing for years. My current device is an LG Stylo 5. Just bought it a month ago. My previous device was an LG Stylo 2. Before that was the original LG Stylo. Basically I can't even remember the last time I had a MetroPCS device where I could send or receive MMS while on Wi-Fi. Every time I have to turn off Wi-Fi and enable data to be able to receive the damn picture. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Some phones can natively do MMS over WiFi, others can't. The carrier must also support it, not all do.

Up until recently you could install another texting app that supported MMS over WiFi, but requirements from Google removed that feature for recently updated apps.

One way to enable MMS over WiFi, if your carrier supports it, is to install an older version of Textra - 3.5. This version of the app was made before the new requirements from Google were in effect. You'll have to use the Install From Unknown Sources option.

Textra version 3.5:
https://textra.uservoice.com/knowle...otification-icon-colors-gone-mms-over-wifi-mm

In Textra settings under MMS enable Prefer WiFi, you might also have to switch between System and Legacy.

Not sure it it works on MetroPCS but you can try.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones