• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cannot transfer apps to the SD Card

)I need to transfer as many apps as possible to the SD card which is only 4% used, but none of the utilities which are supposed to do this ---- such as Apps2SD, and especially Link2SD. The latter works fine on my Samsung Tablet but not at all on my Redmi Note 7. No apps identified as 'movable' are listed. I like Link2SD, but have tried others some of which ask me to 'select' SD card and I am not sure if I am doing that right (instructions flash on and off too fast to read); and others ask me to root the phone. The only thing I know about rooting is not to go near it. Is root required for Link2SD to work? I tried asking the Developer but go no reply.

But my Tablet on which Link2SD works well is not rooted. I think I read in Help that a second partition is not required, though that may only apply to the Tablet ----- which does not have a 'second partition'. Will all the transfer apps require rooting? Why does it work OK on the Tablet which has Marshmallow but not on the Phone which has the later Pie (9)? I expected use of the SD card would get better, not worse, with later versions. If not, why have an SD slot?

Upvote 0
To use its linking functionality you need root and a partitioned card. Without root it can't do anything that isn't supported by the OS in the first place (i.e. the old gingerbread style partial move of an app, if the OS supports it. At most it might be able to extend the number of apps you can do this with, same as a single ADB command can do). Does your phone allow moving of apps via the system setting? If it doesn't then that's why Link2SD won't do anything.

The other thing is that it's not been updated since June 2018, which is before the release of android 9. So I can't rule out it just not working with 9, or with the Redmi Note 7.

In general the SD card in android is intended for media storage. Moving apps is a legacy function from when devices had very little storage. With Android 6 a new option was introduced to format the card as internal storage, which allows you to move apps more comprehensively but requires a fast card and will wear it out quicker. But not all manufacturers support it (and not all include the legacy move to SD, which Google haven't supported themselves for about 6 years).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones