• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot turn google asst off on the phone

Hello,
Have the following problem with the phone find that google asst will come on by itself, google asst has been turned off, but still get this problem have had the software re-stalled also have reset the phone but no good still get this problem.

The version of software installed on the phone is Android 9.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Matthew

Do you use the Google search bar or voice search? If you don't then try disabling the "Google" app: Assistant is part of that, so disabling that app really does turn Assistant off.

But how did you turn it off? Did you actually turn Assistant off, or just the "ok Google" prompt? Because with Assistant actually off it should not reactivate itself (that enables a lot of data collection which they should ask for your permission to do, even if that just consists of a single tick without giving a lot of detail on what it enables). However if you just turned off the trigger then you could re-trigger it in other ways (e.g. your finger lingering on the home button for too long). With Assistant off activating these triggers would produce a prompt to re-enable Assistant, but wouldn't launch Assistant without you enabling it - all of this is written from experience, not theory. Resetting the phone should put you in that state, unless Moto have done something unethical and enabled it by default (which, as that involves changes to your Google account settings, really should not happen without your agreement).

Disabling the Google app means that you don't even get prompts to re-enable Assistant if you activate one of the triggers (again, personal experience with a Pixel running Android 8, 9 and 10).

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
On most of my devices, disabling Google is not an option.

So on my devices, I choose to select another app to be the assistant app.

07-18-2020_03-12-25.jpg

To locate this on my device...

Settings
Apps
(settings pinwheel)
Assist & Voice Input
Assist App

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones