• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help can't boot

littler20

Oct 9, 2011
I’m rooting a Root Moto E (2nd Generation) with 4G LTE. I’ve unlocked the bootloader, installed TWRP and, in theory, installed superSU. The phone kept refusing to boot and locked with a bootloader unlocked screen so I installed a zip to fix it with TWRP. I now don’t get the bootloader unlocked msg but still can’t get beyond the fastboot screen which will only let me go into TWRP recover. Is there a zip can download and install with TWRP that will fix the booting problem? The only way I can stop the freeze when it’s happened is to let the phone charge run out and then charge the phone up just a bit before retrying.

It's unlikely that there's a zip you can install with TWRP to fix the problem because it's unlikely that this is a particular, specific problem for which someone would write a fix. More likely something in the ROM has been damaged, probably severely if it doesn't even attempt to boot into Android. So to be honest the quickest way of fixing this would be to reflash the phone's firmware completely (BTW I'm not familiar with Motos so don't know where you would find the firmware or what tool to use - hopefully someone else can help with that).

As for how it happened, the obvious thing to check is that the TWRP you used was for this specific model of phone. Flashing a recovery built for a different phone is extremely likely to cause problems like this. Otherwise, did you check the md5sum for the SuperSU package you used to make sure it was a good download?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
It's unlikely that there's a zip you can install with TWRP to fix the problem because it's unlikely that this is a particular, specific problem for which someone would write a fix. More likely something in the ROM has been damaged, probably severely if it doesn't even attempt to boot into Android. So to be honest the quickest way of fixing this would be to reflash the phone's firmware completely (BTW I'm not familiar with Motos so don't know where you would find the firmware or what tool to use - hopefully someone else can help with that).

As for how it happened, the obvious thing to check is that the TWRP you used was for this specific model of phone. Flashing a recovery built for a different phone is extremely likely to cause problems like this. Otherwise, did you check the md5sum for the SuperSU package you used to make sure it was a good download?

Upvote 0
also not all is lost as you still have twrp. right?

if so maybe try and flash a custom rom made specifically for your device. please read and follow directions before flashing anything.

head on over to xda to checkout what the dev community is doing for your phone.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-e

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones