• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can't make TWRP flash "stick"

Boowho

Mar 20, 2019
I've read a ton of threads (over on XDA) on the problem of TWRP failing flash, but no help. Maybe I've missed something?? I'm now so frustrated that I did NOT search on this forum before posting this; sorry. I'm beginning to think (as others have) that XDA has gotten "uppity" since my posts over there are mostly unanswered.

My phone is a US996 (unbranded) and I unlocked it (successfully) via LG's procedure. My only "need" is to install TWRP and root the US996. No need for anything more, at least right now.

Anyhow, I enter FB mode on the phone and then on PC I Issue "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img", the DOS window reports everything OK; I pull the battery but in no way can I get into TWRP it just boots regularly no matter what buttons I hold down in any sequence.

Studied the thread attached intently, but no help.

Ideas, anyone??

https://forum.xda-developers.com/v20...overy-t3603760

Boowho??

P.S. Anyone have the stock boot image for this phone? Magisk needs it to patch and then flash. I've been unable to find it and yes, I have searched this forum

Last edited:
Should the command not be "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img"? Perhaps that's a typo in your post, but if you don't tell it what partition to flash I don't know what it will do (I'd hope it would throw an error message, of course, but I've never felt inclined to mistype a fastboot flash command to check ;)).

Upvote 0
Should the command not be "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img"? Perhaps that's a typo in your post, but if you don't tell it what partition to flash I don't know what it will do (I'd hope it would throw an error message, of course, but I've never felt inclined to mistype a fastboot flash command to check ;)).

That IS a typo in my post; sorry. I've corrected my OP.

Upvote 0
WOW!!! More replies already than a week over on XDA.

Both great suggestions.

fasboot boot twrp.img gave an error "invalid command"

I don't not have either the stock US996 boot.img NOR one the already patched for Magisk

I've looked around on the 'net and could not find either.

THANKS!!!! (for your interest and possible future support)

Boowho??

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
That's interesting to see that error since it's a valid fastboot command. That even how I did it on my Pixel 2 XL because I didn't want a permanent TWRP install.

Just to be sure, instead of TWRP.img you are using the actual filename of the file? For example it may be something like:

fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-0-us996.img

Unless you actually renamed the file to twrp.img.

Also, just to be sure, you have the twrp.img in the correct directory on your PC?

And one more thing, are you using an up to date version of the fastboot utility? I had some issues flashing on newer devices until I updated my platform-tools.
https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html

I'll take a look for the stock boot.img as well and see if I can find anything.

Upvote 0
OK, thanks for this..... All the items you mention in your first message, I have pretty well covered (actual file name, etc). I MAY not have the latest platform tools but will get them now.

I DL'ed the latest android Android 7 image from the site you mentioned. I don't know how to extract just the boot image, but imagine I can find that procedure somewhere on the 'Net.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
I didn't look at what file type their firmware is in but if you have a program like 7zip installed on your PC, try right clicking and extracting or browsing the archive.

If you're still having trouble I can download it in awhile when I get home and see if I can manage to pull it.

Upvote 0
OK, thanks for this..... All the items you mention in your first message, I have pretty well covered (actual file name, etc). I MAY not have the latest platform tools but will get them now.

I DL'ed the latest android Android 7 image from the site you mentioned. I don't know how to extract just the boot image, but imagine I can find that procedure somewhere on the 'Net.

Thanks again.

Just curious, but what root guide are you following?

You should know that not all firmware versions for this device are rootable. You need to be on 10F firmware to root and flash twrp.

Here's the root guide for the V20. Make sure to look at posts 1,2, and 3. Take your time and read those posts.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/v20/how-to/guide-root-twrp-lg-v20-using-dirtysanta-t3722278

Here's firmware 10F which is rootable.
https://lg-firmwares.com/downloads-file/5252/US99610f_00_1205.kdz

You have to use the Patched LGUP to flash the firmware. You can find that in the root guide I linked.

Upvote 0
Thank to ALL of you for responding. I have read all you suggestions, and believe I can probably make some progress on my own. Brian, I just finished DL'ing the raw KDZ file and have the means to extract the boot now. But what I just DL'ed is 10N so I need to go back and DL 10F.

BTW and FWIW, I have considerable experience doing this kind of stuff but only on a Zenfone 2. I really know my way around that device, but the US996 is a whole new world for me. Obviously, I don't want to brick it.

HUGE thanks to everyone??? Now THIS is a forum!!!

Upvote 0
Glad we were able to get you some help! If you're on 10N I'm wondering if it will let you downgrade to 10F?

I'm unfamiliar with LG's flashing process since I've never owned an LG, but in my experience, you can usually only upgrade official firmware and not downgrade it.

Hopefully it works out for you! Good luck and let us know how it goes. 🙂

Upvote 0
I'm on 10F, but even if I weren't this phone supposedly does not "worry about" an ARB "flag".

Looks like I may be good all the way around; tomorrow will tell :cool:

UPDATE!!! Flashed patched boot image file followed by TWRP ; I now have TWRP, but can only get into it from a Magisk menu. That's OK, cause I don't like mickey-mousing around with the button "dance" anyhow.

Now for the next step; rooting!! I'm going to be looking around for the best procedure if you already have TWRP installed.

Once again my eternal gratitude for all the help you ALL have provided; You da Men!!

UPDATE #2. Silly me..... I didn't understand that installing Magisk apparently gives root by default.
I'm DONE (for now at least).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm back........ Now thinking about upgrading from 10F (Nougat, and patched with Magisk's patch) to Oreo.

This phone has no ARB set, AFAIK.

I'm rooted, have TWRP installed and BL unlocked.

Anyone know of any issues of upgrading this phone to Oreo and then rolling it back to 10F if I don't like the result.

US996 unbranded device. Love it so far, although it's sorta power hungry.

Boowho??

Upvote 0
I've read a ton of threads (over on XDA) on the problem of TWRP failing flash, but no help. Maybe I've missed something?? I'm now so frustrated that I did NOT search on this forum before posting this; sorry. I'm beginning to think (as others have) that XDA has gotten "uppity" since my posts over there are mostly unanswered.

My phone is a US996 (unbranded) and I unlocked it (successfully) via LG's procedure. My only "need" is to install TWRP and root the US996. No need for anything more, at least right now.

Anyhow, I enter FB mode on the phone and then on PC I Issue "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img", the DOS window reports everything OK; I pull the battery but in no way can I get into TWRP it just boots regularly no matter what buttons I hold down in any sequence.

Studied the thread attached intently, but no help.

Ideas, anyone??

https://forum.xda-developers.com/v20...overy-t3603760

Boowho??

P.S. Anyone have the stock boot image for this phone? Magisk needs it to patch and then flash. I've been unable to find it and yes, I have searched this forum

Upvote 0
please can anyone help!!!!!
Note 4 android 6 with removable battery
ive rooted uing odin ok. pass and root checker confirms ok.

i need to load twrp in order to load custom rom a
after a pass in odin the fone boots to stock not twrp
i tried switchung off autoroot
i tried switching off autoroot and pulling battery after pass then pressing vol up home pwr

please can somone who can do this let me know how. maybe you have to scroll to one of the alternative commands on the menu.. i thought u merely pressed vol up home pwr after pass and pulling batttery

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
please can anyone help!!!!!
Note 4 android 6 with removable battery
ive rooted uing odin ok. pass and root checker confirms ok.

i need to load twrp in order to load custom rom a
after a pass in odin the fone boots to stock not twrp
i tried switchung off autoroot
i tried switching off autoroot and pulling battery after pass then pressing vol up home pwr

please can somone who can do this let me know how. maybe you have to scroll to one of the alternative commands on the menu.. i thought u merely pressed vol up home pwr after pass and pulling batttery

Hello and Welcome to Android Forums @gwm121

I also have Note 4 (n910p). I have root and TWRP aswell. Yes switch off auto reboot in Odin, pull cable, pull battery, volume up/home key/power key simultaneously is correct.
What TWRP are you flashing? Also what Note 4 do you have?

How did you root you phone? I rooted by flashing a .zip via custom recovery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones