• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't move Apps to internal storage & there is NO SD chip in phone!

darjw

Lurker
Nov 27, 2017
HTC EVO 4G LTE phone; low on memory error. No prompt to allow me to move Apps to internal storage, which there is plenty. Also,no SD chip installed. Anyone else with this?
INQUIRY of this PHONE's STORAGE READS:
App Storage: 1.62GB Free: 481MB
Phone storage: 787MB used Free: 9.16GB
SD card: N/A

Another thread says there is an embedded SIM ? but no SD card on EVO 4G LTE. THere's plenty of storage space but no way to access it?
Thanks.

Hmm

, Hmmm, thank you for the link. Guess the real issue is that under "Manage Apps", the phone does not allow me the option to MOVE the apps from APPS STorage to PHONE STORAGE r any Other STorage..

But you stated in your OP "Also,no SD chip installed.". You don't have a micro-SD in the phone? Well if you haven't, then you won't be able to move anything from phone storage.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Mike, the link you posted was for the plain old EVO 4g from 2010. The EVO 4g LTE is the successor from 2012, so it' has slightly better specs. Still by today's standards, it's a pretty anemic device.

@darjw what version of Android is your phone running? The 4G LTE shipped with 4.0.3 (ICS) so this will still have static partitions. After 4.1 the internal storage is virtualized to make it more flexible for app storage. What you are seeing is the limit of the 1GB ram and the static system partition. Some of the apps might be able to be moved partially to the internal storage partition (/sdcard) but i don't think you'll see a whole lot of benefit. It would be a temporary stopgap at best.

Can you upgrade your version of Android? I'm not really that familiar with what's available for HTC phones.

Reactions: svim and mikedt
Upvote 0
Yeah, sounds like the problem is that this one was made in that awkward period (approximately one year) when phones came with significant (for the time) internal storage but partitioned into an "apps" area and a "media" area. And if there is no option to move apps to the "media" bit you probably need to add an SD card in order to (partially) move (some) apps.

I don't know whether a software update would improve this. Other phones of that period which did receive updates to later OS versions often didn't gain the virtualized partitions (if changing that would have required repartitioning then I can see why not - an over the air update that wiped the phone would not win you return business!), but as this was a purely US model I've no experience with this particular phone.

Reactions: svim and lunatic59
Upvote 0
Other phones of that period which did receive updates to later OS versions often didn't gain the virtualized partitions

If the update was done via OTA, yeah, the partitioning schema and runtime compiler were not changed, but if the newer version were flashed, i believe that the underlying architecture was also updated.

Upvote 0
HTC EVO 4G LTE phone; low on memory error......
That's probably a reference to low RAM, not low storage memory. With only 1GB of RAM there's not much you can do to improve that. Those are two different types of memory in your phone that have two different functions, with the RAM being a fixed entity (a chip soldered to the motherboard). RAM is what the operating system (Android) and apps use to actively run in while storage memory is comparatively inert, where files get stored in. Transferring files/apps to or from the internal storage memory and microSD card won't help with a low RAM issue.
https://www.gsmarena.com/htc_evo_4g_lte-4665.php

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones