• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't uninstall TikTok

hstroph

Android Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2012
Due to the recent controversy with the TikTok Make Your Day app, I thought I'd have a look at it to see what it has to offer before the president bans it.

I selected what I understood was "Science and ..." and was scrolling through the offerings looking for something scientific. There began several profane sayings on screen, such as the full "F you Henny!", so I immediately closed the app and was forever done with it.

Any attempt to uninstall the app from the phone meets with failure. I was able to remove the app icon from the desktop, but there is an exclamation-mark notification stating " ! Uninstalling TikTok unsuccessful".

Do I have to restore factory settings and rebuild the phone as I know it in order to get rid of TikTok, or is there an easier way, please. I very much regret my choice to install this app.

It sounds like it asked for special permissions when you installed it.

That can mean that these permisions must be disabled before the app can be uninstalled.

If you remember it asking for permissions, and you can locate these permissions in your device settings, then great!
Go find them, and revoke those privleges.

If not, then you can start with deleting all of its app data.

Then try to uninstall.

I just looked it up (yes, just now), and it seems that you must delete your account before you uninstall the app?

Did you delete (deactivate, whatever) your account before you tried to uninstall?

https://www.indiatvnews.com/technol...ount-uninstall-chinese-app-android-ios-626793

Upvote 0
To remove the app, you can try going to your phone's settings and looking for the "Apps" or "Application Manager" section. From there, you should be able to uninstall it. If that doesn't work, you can try using a third-party app such as an antivirus program or a device optimization tool to assist with the removal process.

Upvote 0
Many Samsung phones come with TikTok preinstalled and no way to properly uninstall it. Same goes for Facebook. It's like they assume people actually use those two over-rated apps. You can make them vanish from your apps list in two ways:

Tap and hold the app in the apps drawer, and select 'hide app'. it goes bye bye (but is still installed). Or go to the application manager in Settings, and 'disable' it. That makes it appear to be uninstalled but sadly still occupies space on your device, but it won't notify you or be accessible while disabled, nor run in the background.

Upvote 0
2-1/2 years later, amid all the news about Chinese govt. use of TikTok to gain access to personal information, and the fact that several nations are banning the app on govt. phones, I'm very glad that I took the time to flash a factory image and permanently remove the app.. Unfortunately, we live in a society where too many people welcome such spy-apps.

Upvote 0
2-1/2 years later, amid all the news about Chinese govt. use of TikTok to gain access to personal information, and the fact that several nations are banning the app on govt. phones,

I totally approve of that.

Govts, and other enterprises, companies, etc. should NOT allow users to install and use their own private apps, like TikTok, or Facebook. or whatever, on devices that are not their property.

I used to work for a security firm that issued Blackberries to staff, and these were strictly for company use only. And it was the same when I worked for British Telecom, they didn't allow any private software or games to be installed and used on company issued laptops.

Why don't those govts, like US, UK, etc. have an "OFFICIAL USE ONLY" policy for staff issued smart-phones?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Due to the recent controversy with the TikTok Make Your Day app, I thought I'd have a look at it to see what it has to offer before the president bans it.

I selected what I understood was "Science and ..." and was scrolling through the offerings looking for something scientific. There began several profane sayings on screen, such as the full "F you Henny!", so I immediately closed the app and was forever done with it.

Any attempt to uninstall the app from the phone meets with failure. I was able to remove the app icon from the desktop, but there is an exclamation-mark notification stating " ! Uninstalling TikTok unsuccessful".

Do I have to restore factory settings and rebuild the phone as I know it in order to get rid of TikTok, or is there an easier way, please. I very much regret my choice to install this app.
factory resetting your phone won't delete tiktok. on some phones you can find out where it is installed, then physically destroy that place. this may destroy your phone but it's worth it.

Upvote 0
MikeDT, at least in my area of KY, many times the job requires you to have your own smartphone to even get hired, and don't issue staff ones owned by the company. too many got lost/stolen, hacked/rooted, or busted.

the trend in the USA is to be available 24/7, reachable even off the clock. I don't agree with it unless you're a doctor or emergency worker such as firefighter or EMT where that makes sense.

One business in Sebree, KY, Century Aluminum, only until recently had their own AMPS microcell tower that only encompassed the property of the industrial park, and staff had been issued those old grey MicroTAC phones. They only worked on the property, and not outside it, and were far from smart, so ensured communication on business property only, no hacking/rooting, or gameplay there, and were built like tanks.

The only times you see a staff-issued 'smartphone' is when it's not a real phone, but one of those 'zebra' scanners attached to a device running Android that looks like a smartphone. you'll find those at Dollar General, and on the belts of FedEX and some UPS drivers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones