• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't Update System Software

Joey Golumpus

Jul 19, 2015
I just got brand new Xperia X Performance that came with 6.0.1, and I'm trying to figure out why I can update it. It's unlocked but not rooted, basically right from the factory as far as I know.
When I go into Software Update in the phone's settings, it says "Your device already has the latest available system updates."
When I use the Sony app on my PC it says my system software is up to date.
I actually can't find anything about this issue, anybody here have any ideas?
Thanks!

Sony most likely haven't released an update. It's up to them to make that decision
Hi, thanks for the reply.
Sony released a 7.1.1 update at the end of 2016 for this phone.
They have also released a 8.0 system update for the phone this March 2018.
Not to mention a handful of security patches over the last two years.
I'm not seeing any updates available for this phone in the System Update in my phone, or using the Xperia Companion software. Again, it says "Your device already has the latest available system updates."
My question to the community is, does anyone know what's happening here? Not sure why nothing is showing up. It is not because there are no updates available because there are.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
First of all, we should clarify whether it is the device manufacturer, Sony, or your carrier, which should be responsible for pushing of system software updating to your Xperia X Performance.
I think you may contact your carrier for help.
Agreed, I'll contact Freedom Mobile and ask them if they know what's going on.
A second thing is...I'm not entirely sure I even want Oreo 8.0 on this phone. There was a release of 7.1.1 that had very little issues as far as I can tell, but I'm almost sure Sony won't have that available. I'm wondering if there's a way to install that update of 7.1.1 without voiding my warranty?

Upvote 0
Well, Freedom Mobile says it's an issue with Sony. And Sony says it's an issue with Freedom Mobile.
And though everything I hear and read says otherwise, this is what happens when I submit my IMEI number to the Xperia website.
So I don't know what the heck to think now.
How come everybody else with this phone was upgraded to 7.1.1 over a year ago, and now was upgraded to Oreo 8.0, but my Xperia X Performance is "up to date"?
I am dumbfounded completely.
Does anybody have any ideas as to what this means?

Attachments

• xperia.PNG
    xperia.PNG
    28.8 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, Freedom Mobile says it's an issue with Sony. And Sony says it's an issue with Freedom Mobile.
And though everything I hear and read says otherwise, this is what happens when I submit my IMEI number to the Xperia website.
So I don't know what the heck to think now.
How come everybody else with this phone was upgraded to 7.1.1 over a year ago, and now was upgraded to Oreo 8.0, but my Xperia X Performance is "up to date"?
I am dumbfounded completely.
Does anybody have any ideas as to what this means?
Btw, you'd better mark your imei number in the screenshot for security reason. :cool:

Upvote 0
It's network unlocked. I haven't done anything to unlock the bootloader or root it or anything, I have a 3 year warranty and don't want to do anything to void the warranty.
When I talked to Sony they said "There is an update for your phone, 8.0 Oreo."
I told them no matter what I do it says my phone is already up to date, they said contact your service provider. My service provider has no idea, they don't send out update notifications, Sony does. Right? Isn't that how it works?
Are you trying to update OTA or via Sony's PC software?

Edit - I just reread the OP and you've tried both.

When you say "unlocked" is that bootloader or network unlocked?

Upvote 0
I'm almost certain it's the network which sends out the update, but I can't recall how Sony do things.

Was it bought unlocked or have you unlocked it yourself and are using a Freedom Mobile SIM? I know on certain handsets/networks, if they're branded, unlocked and you're using a SIM from another carrier they will only update if there's a SIM from the original network inserted.

What is the phones CDA? To check, dial *#*#7378423#*#*, then Service Info, then Software Info, then look at Customisation Version.

You could try flashing it yourself, but it would mean doing a factory reset, would that be an option?

Upvote 0
It was bought unlocked, I've done nothing to it really. I am using a Freedom Mobile SIM. I don't believe Freedom Mobile ever sold the Xperia X Performance.
The phone's Customization Version is: 1301-2067_R3A
For sure I can do a factory reset, I haven't had it long.
Here's the question though..."flashing" it means unlocking the bootloader and installing a custom ROM right? I have a 3 year warranty, I don't want to void it if possible.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
No, you wouldn't be flashing a ROM, it would be official Sony software flashed using something called Flashtool and it wouldn't impact the warranty.
That sounds like it might be perfect. Could you tell me how I go about it, or point me in the right direction? Is there a guide on the forum here?
So am I able to pick different versions from a list by chance? Ideally I'd like to have 7.1.1, which they officially released for this phone over a year ago.
Thanks so much.

Upvote 0
That sounds like it might be perfect. Could you tell me how I go about it, or point me in the right direction? Is there a guide on the forum here?
So am I able to pick different versions from a list by chance? Ideally I'd like to have 7.1.1, which they officially released for this phone over a year ago.
Thanks so much.

Apologies, I completely missed this response.

This will give you a tool which will download the latest firmware for your device - https://forum.xda-developers.com/cr...xperifirm-xperia-firmware-downloader-t2834142

You can then flash with something called Flashtool - http://www.flashtool.net/downloads.php

It's been a while since I've flashed a Sony device, let me see if I can dig out some new instructions for you.

Upvote 0
I'm downloading the following firmware... Sony Xperia X Performance (F8131) Android 7.1.1 firmware - Generic UK
This is the version of Android I'd like on this phone...I'll install 8.0 if that's the only choice I have though.
Will I be able to install this version on my Canada phone?

I used the Xperiafirm app to locate versions of 8.0 from Bell and Rogers, neither of which are from my carrier Freedom Mobile. I don't know if any of that matters.
I'm really a noob with the phone stuff! Thanks so much for your help!

Upvote 0
This is what I found using the Xperiafirm app...
My carrier is Freedom Mobile...I switch between my home network and Away networks regularly, so it's important they all still work. Right now I can connect to Bell and Rogers networks if needed.
Bricking the phone sounds like a pretty crappy situation, I'll do what I can to avoid that!
I looked on a few download sites and found several other versions from other regions with the 7.1.1. Like I said though, I'll try 8.0 too. Would it theoretically be possible to go back to stock 6.0.1 if needed later?

Attachments

• delete.PNG
    delete.PNG
    35.1 KB · Views: 353
Upvote 0
Reactions: Joey Golumpus
Upvote 0
I bought it from Factory Direct in Canada. It kind of makes sense, the phone was listed as "Refurbished" so it was probably used as a demo and returned shortly after.
Thanks SO much for the help. I'm going to get ahold of them tomorrow and ask to talk to someone in IT hopefully. Hopefully they just tell me to do the work myself and not worry about voiding the warranty.
You totally nailed it. I would have been going around in circles for weeks probably.
I'll post back here what I come up with.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Factory Direct refunded me for the extended warranty. I still have the standard 90 day warranty that comes with it, so I'm going to wait until August 25th when that 90 days is up. Then I'll plan on unlocking the bootloader and installing a newer version of Android at that time. I'll be back here when the time comes to do it, just want to make sure whatever I'm doing makes sense and I'm not going to wind up with a phone that doesn't work or something.
Thanks for your help, hopefully this helps someone else looking for an answer too!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones