• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help case causes screen to switch off

xxbazhxx

Feb 17, 2012
hey guys, just got a galaxy tab4 10.1.

thought i would do the decent thing and buy a cover for it straight away,
forgive me if this has already been covered but....
the case i bought is a flip/stand case designed for the tab 4 however, when i open the case and fold the front round to the back to use the tablet, the case covers the rear camera and thus causes the tab screen to switch off.
is there a way i can turn this off so i don't have to have my front flap hanging down when using the tab?

any help would be gratefully appreciated,

regards

Baz

Which case do you have? In any case :)D), I don't think it should be switching off like that. Could something else be causing it?
I set up my dad's Tab 4 (in a case) and I didn't encounter anything like that. Have you tried looking under Settings ?

If you just put your hand over the camera does it shut off?
Is the tablet new or used/refurb? Modified?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Which case do you have? In any case :)D), I don't think it should be switching off like that. Could something else be causing it?
I set up my dad's Tab 4 (in a case) and I didn't encounter anything like that. Have you tried looking under Settings ?

If you just put your hand over the camera does it shut off?
Is the tablet new or used/refurb? Modified?
thanks for the reply, firstly its a case designed for the tab 4 but NOT Samsung official, i tried putting my hand over camera and no it did not turn off, and lastly my tablet is a brand spanking new unmodified one.

Now after a lot of investigating i have come to the conclusion that the case i have has a slight magnetic strip along the edge which holds just enough to keep case closed, this magnetic strip tells the front facing (as you look at screen) camera that the case is shut so the screen turns off automatically thus saving battery life, however, it has the same effect when the magnetic edge is placed over the rear facing camera, voila the screen turns off.

conclusion...this problem has also been documented with the official Samsung case which, i might add, costs considerably more than the one i have so if i wish to keep my tab in top condition i guess i have to live with it.

wow rant over lol

regards

Baz

Upvote 0
I have a Kindle 10, and several covers of different designs and manufacturers. I just had this same problem while at a conference. While I held my Kindle off my lap, it worked. As soon as I folded the cover in half and placed it on my lap, off would go the screen. I googled this problem, which brought me to this page. I have found that as long as I have the Kindle open like a book, I have no problem. Interestingly, I have the exact same (design) cover for my Kindle 8 which does not do this!!

Upvote 0
hey guys, just got a galaxy tab4 10.1.

thought i would do the decent thing and buy a cover for it straight away,
forgive me if this has already been covered but....
the case i bought is a flip/stand case designed for the tab 4 however, when i open the case and fold the front round to the back to use the tablet, the case covers the rear camera and thus causes the tab screen to switch off.
is there a way i can turn this off so i don't have to have my front flap hanging down when using the tab?

any help would be gratefully appreciated,

regards

Baz

Attachments

• 20220404_161137.jpg
    20220404_161137.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220404_161144.jpg
    20220404_161144.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 20220404_161410.jpg
    20220404_161410.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 20220404_161516.jpg
    20220404_161516.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 20220404_161731.jpg
    20220404_161731.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 66
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones