• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Casting is a pipedream

puppykickr

Android Expert
Feb 1, 2019
USA
I give up.
If casting is possible (I am not convinced that it is) then it is beyond me.

After installing a myriad of worthless apps with bogus claims, and never being able to cast anything, I am turning off the tv and watching movies on my sorry ass phone again.

Thanks for nothing, bullshit casting tech.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with casting. The technology can sometimes be finicky and it can be frustrating when things don't work as expected. However, there are a few things that you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check if both the TV and the device you're trying to cast from are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
  2. Make sure that your TV supports casting and that it is configured correctly. Some TVs have built-in casting capabilities, while others may require an external device, such as a Chromecast or an Amazon Fire Stick.
  3. Restart both the TV and the device you're trying to cast from. Sometimes a simple restart can resolve the issue.
  4. Check if the app you're trying to cast from is compatible with the TV. Some apps may not be supported by certain TVs or casting devices.
  5. Make sure that the app and the operating system on your device are up to date. Outdated software can sometimes cause compatibility issues.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
well i have chromecast on all my tv's. its very easy for me to cast my phone to them. i know you hate google, but why not try others that are similar? there are things like roku, the fire stick????

I have the newer external chromecast with the remote. It's pretty nice and their software is pretty good setting up any streaming service you have.

Upvote 0
  1. Check if both the TV and the device you're trying to cast from are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.

Also check if the Wi-Fi network allows devices to connect and send data directly to each other. Because some routers might be set to allow internet access only, and NOT allow devices to ping, connect, and stream to other devices on the same Wi-Fi network.

Hotel Wi-Fi networks are often configured like this as a security measure, for user privacy, and to try and stop infected Windows systems trying spread worms and viruses, and infect other machines on a network.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, I actually (finally) got it to 'work' - sort of, and sometimes.

And the quality is pretty dismal.
Like worn-out VHS tape dismal.

Then to boot, my mother insisted that a soundbar be connected to the tv as well.

My only experience with soundbars is tgat they suck, and I know from experience that an old 'boombox' connected through a VCR will stomp most soundbars for fidelity.

The so called sub-woofer included is the worst joke of all- I make more bass when I fart- literally.
You have to lie in front of it just to be able to tell if it is even on.
The soundbar itself sounds worse than the tv alone, basically like a tweeter inside a pop can that distorts.
Of course, this double turd .1 sounbar is also from LG, which somehow remains in business.

Of course, being from LG, there are no audio outputs to be able to connect it to anything worth listening to- only the piss-poor optical jack that I gave all my cables away for twenty years ago.

I guess LG stands for Large Garbage now that they quit making phones.

Upvote 0
So here we go again.

I hate tv's, and really am sick of messing with any of them.

I recently obtained a tv from a bar that was upgrading their set-up.

Most bars in town here use Vizio equipment, so I assumed that was going to be the brand.

SOB, it turned out to be an LG.
Or turded out, I should say.

One topic that I haven't bitched about a whole lot so far is HDMI connections.

I am here to change that right now.

HDMI connections collect more dirt and debris than any other connection on the back of any set I have ever seen.
They also are very susceptible to electrical noise and are a lousy quality connection all around.

The cables are expensive, and the end result connection is weak and fickle.
This was my view before today, and it was reinforced even moreso today.

A year ago or more I purchased this stupid wi-fi connector for casting, and it plugs into an HDMI jack.
I also purchased another adapter that transforms HDMI to old fashioned (but bullet-proof) component connections.

I thought that I had the bases covered for when I could cast.

With the efforts expended (and largely wasted) with my mother's LG junk, I couldn't wait to throw more good effort (and money) after bad.

To shorten this tale of fruitlessness, the wi-fi connected once, the link to the IP address never worked, and when I unplugged the bastard from the tv the worthless HDMI connector broke off and is now stuck in the tv.

Bravo, engineers-
You have demonstrated that you will climb over a mountain of virgins just to screw one layperson.

Anyone know if I can just connect the USB on my phone directly to the component or the composite inputs on the tv?

Is there a tv with a USEFUL os that will allow me to stream directly from online storage?

I spent money on an SD card and spent hours downloading content that I can only view on my damn phone.

I give up on wireless, it sucks.
HDMI is out of the question- I refuse to go through that crap again.

Maybe I will just cave my head in with a hammer the next time I am inclined to fool with a television.

Seriously ready to toss a working, large, flat-screen out into the road.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones