• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Change phone name?

Cant say for sure for you, but in my experience with this very thing (my ollady and I have identical phones, so they originally showed up as the same name in her car) that setting is actually in the car.

I am assuming a touch screen in the middle of the dashboard?

Somewhere there should be a setting (under 'connected devices'(?)) that will allow you to change what your car calls each device.

At least that is what I had to do in my olladys new Subaru.

Upvote 0
I"ll check... I know on the "old" phones, we renamed them to Bobs Phone and Gails Phone, and everything figured it out. I figured I should be able to do the same thing with these, but so far I can't find a way to just give the phone a name... Which is the problem in all the vehicles - we can't tell who's phone is being used.

Upvote 0
Try this. Open up your Settings menu, and in its Search box (the eyeglass icon in the upper right) type in Bluetooth to get to the Bluetooth options menu. On my phone I need to tap on the three vertical dot menu at the top to get to a 'Rename this device' option.

In your car, when you do connect one of your phones does the phone name show in the car display as some generic device name -- i.e. Moto G7 -- or as a string of characters -- i.e. 1A-2B-3C-4D-5E-6F?
If it shows up as the former, then you should be able to change the names using your phones' Settings menu. If the latter, that's probably going to be a matter if there actually is any such option in your car's Bluetooth setup menu.
(That hexadecimal string is the fixed identifier for a Bluetooth device, it's essentially unique for each device so that's what's used to distinguish one from the other. In a loose equivalent, it's similar to which IP address gets assigned to each device when connecting to a local network in your home.)

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Aha! The searching for "bluetooth" got me to an "About Phone" page, on which I could set the "device name". Had my wife bring her phone over - ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL Moto G7 - BOUGHT on the SAME DAY. Did the same thing with HER phone and on the "About Phone" page, NO PLACE TO SET THE DEVICE NAME... Same everything, build, dates, you name it.....
So, I tried doing the search for "device name" and hers found a page for System > About Phone (wasn't that where I JUST WAS?) on which we COULD set the device names.

SO, in future, when we're both in the car (as we were today) and both have our phones (as we did), we'll be able to tell WHO'S phone got connected...

Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones