• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Changes to my phone

Are you same poster as yesterday, about "removing the OS" on a Vivo Y53? You can certainly try a different the launcher, which can change the look of and how the home-screens work. But other than that, it's stuck with Funtouch OS. Basically if you don't like Funtouch OS, don't buy a Vivo, that's it. Bare in mind many other Chinese phones often have heavily customized and skinned versions of Android, with cutesy names. Color OS, Emotion OS, FlyMe OS, Happy OS, etc. There's certainly no custom ROMs available for the Vivo Y53.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It won't change the menus though. But doing that is risky: it would require rooting the phone and hacking the systemUI - get that even slightly wrong and you will have a non-functioning phone - and will still be limited in what you can change (some colours and icons in menus basically, not the whole UI structure). I wouldn't even consider it without a custom recovery - the first bootloop I ever suffered came from making a small tweak to the appearance of a menu, and that was on a device that was well-supported by developers, which this one is not.

Reactions: Dannydet and mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones