• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Choosing right Android TV box

jragusa

Aug 18, 2014
Hi All,

I am poised to purchase a new Android TV box or dongle and could use some advise.

I will be using it strictly to watch live TV and films - no games, no surfing, etc. With that in mind, I was wondering if I need to purchase a box with lots of CPU power, RAM and storage OR if I could get away with some economical dongle. In other words, what specs would be most important for me?

Second Q: Numerous box vendors offer "fully loaded" boxes. Is this important? Can I download and install the things they have loaded their boxes with? Is a fully loaded box similar to a fully loaded new PC which slows down the startup, makes the PC sluggish and only forces me to do a fresh stripped down OS install?

You see, a lot of cpu power will influence on how fast your tv box can load different video films, and also it's known that the higher film reslution is so the more cpu power will be used. and the main feature (as for me ) that you should buy a well powered tv box - that it will serve you for a long time. minix neo x7 and other models which use in the basis a processor Rokchip will give you full control at all functional of console due to there is no need to buy additional expensive management tools. it's better to buy a good device than to to pay twice for a limited devices in it's functions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones