• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Conditional Lock Screen

tweak4

Feb 5, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Has anyone had any luck setting up their Maxx to only use a lock screen when away from home? Basically, my goal is to specify a list of network SSIDs that I regularly use (home, work, etc) and have the phone bypass/disable the PIN lock when connected to one of those networks. Any other time, it should assume that I'm someplace where my phone could potentially be lost and use the PIN lock screen instead.

I tried using Tasker and setting up profiles (via Secure Settings) that would enable and disable a PIN lock based on whether or not I was connected to one of my regular networks . This should have worked but it didn't, and afterwards I read that a lot of people were having trouble with this kind of profile/task if they were running Android 4.0 or greater.

I then started playing with Delayed Lock, which has a similar option to disable the lock screen when connected to specific SSIDs or bluetooth devices. However, performance here seemed spotty and I also found an article that mentioned that the app didn't always work with the Moto X or any of the 2013 Droid family.

Has anyone tried this app successfully, or found another way to do this?

So I spent some time playing with Delayed Lock over the weekend, and while it took some time for the app to "settle in", it has actually been working extremely well since about Saturday morning. It is set up to bypass the lock screen whenever I'm on any of my home networks (there are 3, between different frequencies and the extender), my office network, or when it is connected to the BT adapter in my car. The rest of the time, it pops up the standard PIN lock screen just like I wanted.

So if anyone else is trying to do something like this, Delayed Lock may just be the answer!

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones