• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Confused.com v Virus Attack

Keith F

Lurker
Aug 18, 2020
hey people.. would really appreciate some guidance here.

The Mrs took a phone call this morning on her Samsung S10
, it displayed Ralfi Bloom (DONT GOOGLE IT PLEASE)..
we didn’t answer but I did google the name and that’s when all my problems started.

My Huawei P20 Pro froze. Now I can’t use finger ID, screen won’t work at all.
It’s making emergency calls hundreds of characters long and is preventing me from performing a factory reset by again no screen activity but self filling the YES with random characters.

Anyone recognise this activity and any suggestions from experience of how to gain control.

Her Samsung also died, black screen but to start with help on any would be amazing please

Thanks a million

Receiving a phone call (especially if you don't answer it) or searching for a name -- even a known malicious one, shouldn't cause any problems, let alone one's as severe as you describe. It may be completely coincidental to a hardware failure. The fact that both phones are having problems makes me wonder if it's something external ... power surge, magnetic fields, etc.

What happens if you long press the power button for about 20 seconds?

Upvote 0
Hey Lunatic thanks. Know I sound like a lunatic myself.
So if I hold power button for 20 secs it cycles off and on, it then either does nothing or randomly types numbers and characters and attempts to make an emergency call with those digits.

If I power off and volume up to try and wipe cache or factory restore its a battle but I can get it there after several attempts but it then again types random letters and digits thus preventing me to type YES to perform a reset. Ps, screen not working so i can’t delete and retype, its just looping.

Upvote 0
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
To be honest, if your phone is entering random characters by itself and, if after shutting down you can reboot into recovery briefly but then it begins misbehaving again, it sounds like a heat related hardware failure. Perhaps the battery is swelling and putting pressure on the back of the screen? It's a guess but it would explain what's happening. It really doesn't sound like anything software would fix.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones