• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Connected to wi-fi, great signal but can't go online

pintree3

Oct 1, 2013
Canada
Google is full of people showing my problem or something similar but I can't seem to find the answer.
I have a connection. My wi-fi shows full (I am after all sitting next to my router at home)
I have reset the router, I have reset the tablet to factory settings and still nothing. Something is missing somewhere. My wi-fi shows it's connected with a strong signal but I can't go online on a browser or anything Google.
My tablet is an OEM so please don't ask me its name it doesn't exist. I already searched hi and low including the seller with no results. All I know is it's model number MID-756 with firmware version 4.4.2
Processor type: DualCore A23
Android ver. 2.0.2
Kernel ver. 3.4.39 keven@ubuntu #2 wed Aug 6 15:44:21 CST 2014
My PC OS if it helps any is: Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit
Thank you

This kind of problem is often related to DNS (Domain Name System) resolution. DNS translates website names into numerical IP addresses. Does using a numerical IP address rather than a website name allow you to connect? For example, instead of google.com use: http://74.125.224.72/ If so, it's a DNS problem.

There can be several causes for DNS trouble. I usually say try rebooting routers or modems first, then clear browser cookies. You've already done those. You might try a different browser. If still no go, contact your ISP. Sometimes the problem is on their end.

Oh BTW, on the tablet are you able to do other internet activities such as check email or sync contacts? And is any other devices able to surf the 'net successfully using your WiFi?

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Thanks for your help. I tried the numbers and nothing "Unable to connect" on 2 different browsers. Am I able to do other internet activities" As I had said ''nothing Google'' and by this I mean Google Play Store for example. I do a search and I get a blank page or if I try ''Mobomarket'' and do a search there I get a window that says ''Unable to connect to network'' As to checking my email, I need my browser for that and syncing contacts is done via Moborobo on my PC (I also update my apps that way.)
Oh yeah re: my ISP. I connect without a problem with my laptop and cell phoneS should this not imply that the problem is not with the ISP?

Upvote 0
It seems you have no internet connection at all on the tablet, not a DNS problem. Since you have no problem using other devices that pretty much rules out your ISP.

You already did resets on the router and tablet, the usual, relatively simple fixes. Trying to troubleshoot and cure the trouble gets more complicated from here on. And it's possible your tablet might even have a hardware problem.

If you haven't already, try taking the tablet to a friend's house or somewhere that you can try connecting to a different WiFi network. If it works there then further troubleshooting of your network is in order. If it fails on a different network also, I think you might be ahead to just simplify your life and return the tablet to the seller.

Upvote 0
When I 'erased' my internet connection by 'forgetting it" I started over. Once done I could see it connect and it said so. Then if you look at my wi-fi icon it also shows it as connected. Is this unit defective then and should it be returned? No, since I have an exact 2nd one and the problem is the same.
No, the problem is with the configuration somewhere; for the question is, How could I be connected (according to the initial set up and the wi-fi icon) and not be connected (internet) at the same time? If the unit were defective the first would not connect either.
There is perhaps another solution.
I know with my PC for example I could easily format my hard drive and then re-install Windows OR if I choose to, forget Windows altogether and install Linux (Ubuntu, Mint or what-have-you). Could I do the same with my tablet?

Upvote 0
Did you try to connect to another network than your own as I suggested?

If you have 2 units with the same problem, that indicates to me an inherent defect, more likely software than hardware. You already did a factory reset, which actually reinstalls the OS.

There's not much to configure in the tablet's WiFi settings. It's pretty much click on your network, enter your password and go. Now, there's a LOT of configuration options on your router. Are you prepared to do some digging into network geek territory? Which may or may not ultimately result in a solution? If so, I can try to help but be forwarned I'm no network guru. I know enough networking to hurt myself, but...

As for replacing the tablet's OS, that's a no-go. It would be somewhere between difficult and impossible if they were common name-brand tablets like Asus or HP. Since the only brand you have for them is OEM it's just not gonna happen.

I'll say it again...Unless you're willing to do some networking stuff with the understanding that doesn't mean a sure solution, it would probably be best to simplify your life and return the tablets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just throwing this out there as maybe it will inspire some other thoughts.
But you mention you cannot connect to anything "google"
Since this is a Chinese Tablet, do you think google is blocked somehow?

Like I said, I'm just popping in and throwing this at ya :D

Devices with Beijing govt. censoring do exist, we've had threads about them before, purchased in Shanghai apparently. Easiest way to prove that, see if it will connect to http://www.baidu.com/ , and if it connects to Baidu but not Google, you've likely found the problem. What's actually happening with the censored tablets, is that the hosts file has been modified to include a whole list of sites that are banned and illegal in the PRC, and to fix this root is required. It's things like Amnesty International, Falun Gong, WSJ, CNN, Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Some Chinese browsers can be hard coded to only communicate with proxies in China, like the PRC version of Opera Mini, and so would be unable to access Google, Facebook, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones