• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Convert from miniSIM to microSIM on Simple Mobile

Existing Simple Mobile account looking to upgrade to a new phone.

Only my current phone has a miniSIM card and the new phone takes a microSIM.

A search on the web I saw a youtube video on how to CUT your miniSIM into a microSIM. Sounds interesting but I am not sure. Is it advisable?

Calling SM support they said go to a dealer and they will take care of it for you. I asked OK what does that mean? They said they will sell you a new microSIM card and activate it for you. I said "ACTIVATE"? I have an existing account, I have still 20 days to go before my current plan expires. Will a new activation cleaned out my account and start a new cycle? She said "I highly doubt that would happen"...sounds like she's not sure.

Called SM support again and she said I need to go to a dealer and do a "SIM swap". OK, does it involve an activation? She said no, but there is a fee involved.

I would appreciate if someone knows for sure what the process would be to chime in. I would like to keep my account, my number, and just switch the SIM card without any "reset", is it possible?

also is there a way to do all this on my own my ordering a new microSIM SM kit from say eBay for $1?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones