• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Copilot Live GPS

mlsa

Oct 8, 2011
Good Morning

Has anyone ever used Copilot Live the GPS software that downloads the map to your storage card? They have a new version that just came out this past week.

I've seen mixed reviews but wanted to get some feedback from you guys before trying.

Thanks

David

I've used Copilot Live on both WinMo & Android devices for years. IMHO, it's the best nav software available, at least for the North American market. Their maps are definitely the most up-to-date, and they're really good about acting on user-reported map errors.

The only thing I've ever used that comes close is TomTom, but they don't have an Android version, and have apparently stopped selling their WinMo version.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll give it a try.

David

I find copilot live premium pretty good. Bear in mind when searching for reviews and comments that the premium version is pretty recent, and quite different; most comments are likely to refer to the old vesion.

I especially like the possibility to choose among 3 routes, an option most satnavs don't give you. I haven't used it extensively but I was happy with the product.

Unfortunately the traffic updates are almost useless compared to TomTom; but then TomTom (in case you are considering a dedicated satnav) has its share of problems because it rushed to the market half-baked, incomplete devices full of glitches and bugs, not all of which are entirely solved. Don't take my word for it, check their forums.
Probably the most relevant issue for the Android community is that the latest TomTom devices won't work with most Androids because most Androids (shame on google) don't support bluetooth rsap (remote sim): the TomTom keeps trying to access the phone book contacts, causing the bluetooth connection to keep dropping and becoming effectively useless. There's no option to stop the TomTom from trying to access the phone book and act just like a normal loudspeaker - something most older models pulled off perfectly. The few Androids which support this tend to be HTC or Samsung.

By the way, www.66.com is a forthcoming satnav app based on the TomTom maps. It will be interesting to see what it looks like. if it supports HD traffic then I'd have no need for a dedicated satnav

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones