• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Crap service from Moto under waaranty

Has anyone else in the U.K. suffered from diabolical service under warranty?
John Lewis sent it back on 3/12/17 a month later they have done nothing and when I asked what was going on they told me that It was at Lenovo service and should be at Motorola service. "send it to them then " said I. "can't do that, John lewis have to phone Motorola and tell them to ask Lenovo to send it to them.
I lost it with JL and they very kindly have offered to replace it. With what yet I don't know. I am certainly not at all keen to have another Moto..
Problem btw was malfunctioning screen. Anyone else had a problem with G4 Or G5S? If they force me to have another Moto I shall go for the G5s.
Any comments gratefully received.
cheers.
Colin.

I had bad experience in the UK, (though I still ended up buying another Motorola as a run out G4 was the best in my price range.)

When my 3 month old Moto X Style slipped out of my car seat on holiday and a tiny pin hole size screen chip developed in to a diagonal crack along the bottom left - I opted to send it to Motorola direct for a quoted/estimated repair price as few independent repairers had access to Motorola parts.

I then 'lost' it for 2 months before I could send it to Motorola's in house repair centre in Ashford Middlesex (I had wrapped it in afront zip pocket of a travel case, and not realising how small the phone was I didn't feel it there! )

So contacting Motorola again they gave me a new job number but now I had to send it to their outsourced new repairer Anovo in Norwich iirc.

I had to filll out an online form with them and got no confirmation or email just send it to this address before exiting the site.

Long long story slightly shorter : Motorola nor myself could contact Anovo long after the promised 7 day turnaround.

Months later despite agreeing a slightly higher price (no problem), Anovo not answeing phone calls and not accepting or providing email addresses, it seemed Motorola were 'afraid' of upsetting Anovo and I would not pay by card over the phone without any confirmation or agreement, or assurance about the battery state as it had been inactive/on their shelf for 6 months, Motorola said Anovo were destroying it.

Like I said, a longer story about a repair I was always happy to pay for, and just horrendous handling and treatment by Motorola.

So it may be Anovo (whose online repair form and phone answer service initially didn't mention their new contract with Lenovo / Motorola but apparently repaired for Samsung among tech brands).

As you bought from John Lewis I hope they get you satisfaction, as Motorola UK won't take their own customers side against Anovo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Many thanks chaps.
My standby 'phone died this morning so I had to buy something immediately. John Lewis offered me a full refund to buy elesewhere (top marks to JL) or come into the store and choose from their very linited in store stock.
Bought a Galaxy A5.
Had to put £144 towards it but I thought B****r it .
Get a decent 'phone and another 2 year warranty.
So it's goodbye and good riddance to Motorola. John Lewis are not happy and are demanding reimbursement from Lenovo. Good for them.

Upvote 0
Good to hear.
I was going to recommend the A5, that and the A3 seem to be all they do that's not on Vodafone.
It's a little overpriced still, but if it was a little more than my £140 G4 in April (Argos), and I had two previous Samsung flagships, I would have bought one.

All done and dusted. I hope you enjoy it. Very nice Amoled screen and I like Samsung's UI. :)

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
Thanks for your assurance.
I don't know if I am getting thicker in old age, but two problems I can't solve.I ambout to look at the on line manual, I can't get the screen to rotate for pictures when you turn the phon into landscape.
also, Although I have all my apps form my old phone showing if I go into Apps via settings. I only have a few on my apps button that I can actually open.
I just CANNOT find out how to do it?
Any ideas?
cheers.
Colin

Upvote 0
Thanks for your assurance.
I don't know if I am getting thicker in old age, but two problems I can't solve.I ambout to look at the on line manual, I can't get the screen to rotate for pictures when you turn the phon into landscape.
also, Although I have all my apps form my old phone showing if I go into Apps via settings. I only have a few on my apps button that I can actually open.
I just CANNOT find out how to do it?
Any ideas?
cheers.
Colin

It's been a couple of years since I had a Samsung and the UI has changed a little.
Your posts are still in the Moto G4 section and maybe Mods can move this.

I'm not sure why the Gallery app does not rotate, I presume you have enabled Rotation via the shortcuts / quick settings on the pull down shade. (I'm starting to forget all the terminology myself)

It may be in the gallery app settings. You mean when one photo is displaying.

I would recommend allowing Google Photos to backup your photos in free high quality though not full resolution mode. The Photos app is now the default gallery app on Motorolas, and that will rotate photos only if the Rotation setting is set.

Regarding the apps, I'm not sure without seeing the problem.
The apps have downloaded from your Play Store account (and if you open Play Store and My Apps there they show as installed?

Yet you don't have the icons in the App Drawer (centre button in the bottom dock), or they are there but nothing happens when you press them.

Maybe you have solved it by now. Let us know and someone can help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones