• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cricket Kyocera Zio Upgrade - January 2011

Jazziette

Android Expert
Dec 30, 2010
Under the Rainbow
The Zio will be upgraded to 2.1 sometime in January. It is currently 1.6. This will help to justify the Zio's price being higher than the Huawei Ascend, that doesn't compare in some other important areas.

While it is rumored that the Ascend will upgrade to 2.2 sometime the first quarter of the year, it is not confirmed by Huawei or either carrier (Cricket or MetroPCS).

Reactions: KOLIO
The Zio will be upgraded to 2.1 sometime in January. It is currently 1.6. This will help to justify the Zio's price being higher than the Huawei Ascend, that doesn't compare in some other important areas.

While it is rumored that the Ascend will upgrade to 2.2 sometime the first quarter of the year, it is not confirmed by Huawei or either carrier (Cricket or MetroPCS).

I almost bought The ZIO when it first came out,I owned a KYOCERA with Virgin Wireless a while back and was pleased with it.But,with the ZIO,I saw that SPRINT picked it up shortly after Cricket(approx. 1-2 mo. later),but SPRINTS' version was 2.1 from day one.With that in mind,that would probably be the only upgrade,if any,that would ever make it to Cricket for the Zio. Along with already having the Ascend rumored to go to 2.2,it didn't make sense to buy this phone w/o a seriosly meaningful discount.I've heard it has slightly better video/ audio capabilities, but with an outdated o/s,it did'nt make sense to get Crickets' version of ZIO,so I dove in & got the HUAWEI ASCEND instead.A FERRARI it's not,but with the features,price,&inexpensive monthly plan,no one else can touch this all-around package.

Reactions: Jazziette
Upvote 0
I almost bought The ZIO when it first came out,I owned a KYOCERA with Virgin Wireless a while back and was pleased with it.But,with the ZIO,I saw that SPRINT picked it up shortly after Cricket(approx. 1-2 mo. later),but SPRINTS' version was 2.1 from day one.With that in mind,that would probably be the only upgrade,if any,that would ever make it to Cricket for the Zio. Along with already having the Ascend rumored to go to 2.2,it didn't make sense to buy this phone w/o a seriosly meaningful discount.I've heard it has slightly better video/ audio capabilities, but with an outdated o/s,it did'nt make sense to get Crickets' version of ZIO,so I dove in & got the HUAWEI ASCEND instead.A FERRARI it's not,but with the features,price,&inexpensive monthly plan,no one else can touch this all-around package.

I did the very same based on the same reasons. And I completely agree with you about the Ascend! It's so nice to read good, common-sense posts like yours always are.

Thank you !!!

:)

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I did the very same based on the same reasons. And I completely agree with you about the Ascend! It's so nice to read good, common-sense posts like yours always are.

Thank you !!!

I'll be hanging on to the ASCEND for quite a while,want to max out the value of this phone until it's ready for the "LAND OF MISFIT CELLPHONES",unless................Cricket releases a vertical slider {a la DROID PRO or BLACKBERRY TORCH}.If anyone(Jazziette,et. al.)hears of such a phone coming Crickets' way,keep us all posted.

Upvote 0
1. Is there any update on the ZIO's upgrade to Android 2.1?

2. Given both ZIO and Ascend are both 600 mhz processor from my understanding, the make up of the Ascend is terrible.

ZIO beats Ascend hands down. I went to a Cricket store with my ZIO and tested the Ascend for a friend....Everything is slow on the Ascend..so much lag time compare to anything, from opening a menu to browser...Also recently another friend of mine's wife purchase the Ascend and I can hear her gripping how her phone stinks compare to the ZIO,...mainly being slow...slow as in the windows hour glass (literally).

Hope this help... Again any news of Cricket changing the ZIO to Android 2.1?

Thank you !!!

Upvote 0
1. Is there any update on the ZIO's upgrade to Android 2.1?

2. Given both ZIO and Ascend are both 600 mhz processor from my understanding, the make up of the Ascend is terrible.

ZIO beats Ascend hands down. I went to a Cricket store with my ZIO and tested the Ascend for a friend....Everything is slow on the Ascend..so much lag time compare to anything, from opening a menu to browser...Also recently another friend of mine's wife purchase the Ascend and I can hear her gripping how her phone stinks compare to the ZIO,...mainly being slow...slow as in the windows hour glass (literally).

Hope this help... Again any news of Cricket changing the ZIO to Android 2.1?

On the Cricket Wireless Facebook page I saw today the Zio users are still mad as hell over not having already received the 2.2 upgrade that Cricket says "is coming soon".

As for the Zio being better than the Ascend that is a matter of opinion.

Having spoken to several Cricket employees who say they much prefer the Ascend over the Zio I would say it is highly debatable. LOL

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones