• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Current root method?

I've been trying to figure out how to root my DNA and every article I read seems to say that the method no longer works or that if you are on a newer version it no longer works, etc.

So my question is: what steps do I take today to root my DNA?

I am on the latest version of Android. I installed the OTA update that came 2 weeks ago and am on 4.4.2. My 4G internet is royally screwed up and I need to try something to fix it.

Thank you!

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I want to root the phone so I can install a custom ROM. I'm hoping that will fix my connection issues.

My connection issue is that ever since I installed the latest Kitkat update my connection has been poor at best, even in area where I was getting strong 4G. Sometimes it shows that I have a 4G connection but nothing will actually work (no browsing, no emails, no Facebook, etc). Other times it drops me down to slow 3G and even 1X.

I wanted to install a custom ROM to see if that would make any difference. I'm familiar with rooting since I've done it on my old Galaxy Nexus but the DNA seems to be much more complicated.

Thank you for your response!

Upvote 0
The current root method is to install an app called weaksauce,wich will give you superuser permissions. You then run firewater to acieve s off. From there you can install a custom recovery and flash roms.

Some adb is needed to run firewater. Not knowing your comfort levels,at this time ill just provide a link. Firewater and the weaksauce are available here: http://firewater-soff.com/

Holler if you have questions :)

Reactions: miked333
Upvote 0
Yesterday I was able to root and unlock using weaksauce and firewater!

Thank you scotty85 for pointing me in the right direction.

I installed the ViperDNA 4.2.2 ROM to test it out. Unfortunately, I am still having the same issue with my internet connection. This all started when I installed the 4.4.2 update so I was hoping that going back to 4.2.2 would fix the issue.

I'm going to try a stock 4.2.2 ROM tonight and see if that makes any difference.

Just to be clear, my issue is that in areas where I used to get strong 4G, I now get either nothing at all, very slow 3G or 1X. Sometimes it says I'm on 4G but have no connectivity at all. This all started when I installed the latest OTA update to Android 4.4.2.

Verizon already told me there's nothing they can do so if I can't make this work on my own I'm going to have to buy a new phone and the worst part is I'll probably lose my unlimited data.

I guess it's possible that somehow my hardware is to blame but I don't know how I would even be able to check that out.

Thanks again for your help!

Upvote 0
Yesterday I was able to root and unlock using weaksauce and firewater!

Thank you scotty85 for pointing me in the right direction.

I installed the ViperDNA 4.2.2 ROM to test it out. Unfortunately, I am still having the same issue with my internet connection. This all started when I installed the 4.4.2 update so I was hoping that going back to 4.2.2 would fix the issue.

I'm going to try a stock 4.2.2 ROM tonight and see if that makes any difference.

Just to be clear, my issue is that in areas where I used to get strong 4G, I now get either nothing at all, very slow 3G or 1X. Sometimes it says I'm on 4G but have no connectivity at all. This all started when I installed the latest OTA update to Android 4.4.2.

Verizon already told me there's nothing they can do so if I can't make this work on my own I'm going to have to buy a new phone and the worst part is I'll probably lose my unlimited data.

I guess it's possible that somehow my hardware is to blame but I don't know how I would even be able to check that out.

Thanks again for your help!

the prollem is likely with firmware,wich flashing a rom does not change. from what ive heard about the official 4.4.2 "update",youre lucky your phone works at all now,lol.

heres what i would do:
*since you are s off,no need to relock the bootloader for this process
-run an ruu(only one available is this older one,sorry): AndroidRUU | The #1 source for Android RUU files
-after the phone boots and settles,go to hboot and chose the "factory reset" option. doing this with the stock recovery in place will "clean out" parts of your phone that a custom recovery cannot.
-allow phone to OTA back to 4.2.2

at this point id stop. you now re-install a custom recovery and add root access,or flash a rom. you are now on firmware that worked,so dont update past that. if you wish to just stay stock,you can freeze a file called "updater" with titanium backup or the equivalent and the phone should no longer update.

sorry for the late response,pc time has been scarce lately :eek:

holler if you have questions :)

Reactions: miked333
Upvote 0
Scotty, I will probably not ever say you are wrong on something when it comes to rooting and flashing roms. However I was spending some good time over on the xda forums today and I have what I think could be a much simpler route to fix this problem as I'm going to try and use it to fix mine. Over on xda there is a thread that has the newest firmware and radios from the update. It will work on any rom. It still requires the ruu which I'm going to have to do myself to get it but it should take out the stock rooted step as well as the test process with updating to the newest update of android itself. I will list the link to said thread and post in hopes that this is just as safe of an option for anyone in a similar or same situation.
★ ☆ [ROM/RADIO][4.4.2][Kitkat] Stock 4.09.605.1 | Rooted | Odex-Deodex | Sense5.5 | ☆ ★ - xda-developers

Also here are the instructions I was given to fix the problems I've been having with my sim card and signal as well as because I did a dirty flash.

All you should need to do, is this:
  • Put the rom you want to flash, on your internal storage
  • Wipe everything except internal storage. (yes this is important or you will continue to have issues and IS why you have the ones you do now)
  • This means, system, data, cache, dalvik, boot.
  • Fastboot flash the latest firmware from my stock thread if you have not updated it yet. Instructions are there.
  • Flash the rom.

If you have issues with sim card after that, then I would flash stock rooted rom and stock recovery and do a factory reset.
And/or see about getting a new sim card from Verizon.

All the info I'm giving is credited to Santod040. He is behind the rom I use and also behind the answers to the problems I've been having.

Scotty you are great, I will always appreciate your help. I don't want to take away from what you do at all. It's just at this moment I feel this option is better because I don't think my issues are as serious as you feel they are. However if I'm proved to be wrong and you right, I will give you as always your rightful props.:)

Upvote 0
Coyotes,again you are a big boy and are welcome to formulate your own plan. As I've said,I'm not sure why you ask for advice at all,as most of the time you just explain why you don't want to follow it.

HTC cell phones are my hobby.for the past 4 years, Ive done nothing but mess with just about every HTC phone that there is,and up until recently vzw has been my main carrier. The advice I give is based on this experience and what has worked for me. Other things may work,but I post what I believe to be the most safe, reliable,and likely to work the first time.

In a nutshell,Santod has told you to flash a new rom,wich will fix all your other bugs and we have been telling you to do here since you did the dirty flash you shouldn't have. I'll be surprised if this also fixes your sim issue,but you never know. The next bit of advice to install the stock rom and recovery is similar also,as I explained to you the stock recovery can wipe the phone much more completely than any custom recovery.

The prollem here is that you're still on a mismatch of firmware,and simply flashing firmware.zip from the ota may or may not fix that issue(IIRC,you s offed a while ago and are on an old firmware base,so flashing the new firmware.zip will just further jumble things up). The mismatch may or may not cause you any percievable issues,so you may be 100% happy with those results. However,it is my opinion that the phone will operate better with everything matching,wich is why I recomended to run the ruu over the simple stock rom/recovery install and let the phone ota to current. Again,this is simply my opinion as to what will give you the best working device.

I'm not sure why you are so afraid to run the ruu,or why you think the process I've recomended is so complicated. But any rate,I wish you luck in getting things sorted :)

Upvote 0
Now I take your advice most of the time. Just recently is when I've been looking for other options. I'm not against your advice but sometimes I like to know all the options I have to work with before I commit to one. And the ruu thing is because it's so new to me that I'm afraid of it to be honest. I downloaded the ruu last night. That's as far as I got. And let me make sure I understand, if I plug my phone in and let the ruu run I'll go to stick rooted and take the update after that? Or will I lose root? That's all I'm asking. Lol

Upvote 0
Now I take your advice most of the time. Just recently is when I've been looking for other options. I'm not against your advice but sometimes I like to know all the options I have to work with before I commit to one. And the ruu thing is because it's so new to me that I'm afraid of it to be honest. I downloaded the ruu last night. That's as far as I got. And let me make sure I understand, if I plug my phone in and let the ruu run I'll go to stick rooted and take the update after that? Or will I lose root? That's all I'm asking. Lol

The ruu will remove superuser(it completely replaces /system along with all other partitions) but it will not remove s off. All you need to do to re-root is install recovery,install superuser.

As I've said several times now,with your particular issue,you will want to leave the phone stock for a couple days(during wich time it will ota a couple times to current) and make sure your sim issue is resolved. Yes= install recovery,install rom. No= take phone to vzw and get a new sim

Don't forget the factory reset from hboot after the ruu. It's the most important part of the process :)

Upvote 0
And if I leave it stock for a couple days and it's still got the sim problem.....? I mean I get what you are saying and eventually I'll try it out. And I know where you are coming from too, rather be safe than sorry. Run the ruu, leave it be for a couple days, then go custom crazy if the issue is fixed. If not then it's back to doing it all over again just to get a replacement sim card from VZ.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones