• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Data Connection Issues

tweak4

Feb 5, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
I've got a weird issue- anyone run into anything like this before?

I live in a 4G area, but I work in a 3G and since I have wi-fi at home, I usually just leave the phone in CDMA mode.
When I get home, I flip wi-fi on and all is well.
However, when I leave for work in the morning and turn wi-fi off, my phone refuses to connect to 3G until I reboot it. I get 3 or 4 bars in the signal indicator, as well as the 3G icon, but it is all in gray (instead of blue), and no apps can access data. However, once I reboot it seems fine.
I don't think it has always done this, but it has ever day for the last 2 weeks at least.
That said, I can't be sure the problem comes from having wi-fi on (as I can usually turn it on for short periods and everything is fine when I turn it off again), or from having it plugged in overnight or something else entirely. It's correlation, but not necessarily causation.

Phone is unlocked and rooted, but otherwise stock.

The most I've let it go has been about an hour. Toggling airplane mode or mobile network modes doesn't seem to fix it.

I'm not sure that turning the wi-fi off actually triggers this problem, I'm just in the habit of turning it off on the way to work, and that's when I also notice that I have no data connectivity.

Also my office has a wireless network that is protected by a web portal (which I don't have the password for) rather than WEP/WPA/etc, so if I leave wi-fi on, the phone will try to connect to the network, but then it can't use that connection to access the internet. It's easier just to disable wi-fi so the office network doesn't mess me up.
thanks

Upvote 0
The most I've let it go has been about an hour. Toggling airplane mode or mobile network modes doesn't seem to fix it.

I'm not sure that turning the wi-fi off actually triggers this problem, I'm just in the habit of turning it off on the way to work, and that's when I also notice that I have no data connectivity.

Also my office has a wireless network that is protected by a web portal (which I don't have the password for) rather than WEP/WPA/etc, so if I leave wi-fi on, the phone will try to connect to the network, but then it can't use that connection to access the internet. It's easier just to disable wi-fi so the office network doesn't mess me up.
thanks

If you don't enter and save the password for WiFi access point in phone, it won't connect to phone even if it's close. I set my WiFi radio to sleep for screen off and stay on for screen and plugged in too. but I get that everyone has different habit, usage pattern on WiFi.

Maybe you could be in an area affected by VZW expanding 4G recently. There is thread for connectivity issue from that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones