• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Desperate Error (!)

MikeBala

Lurker
Feb 4, 2019
Hello everyone! My first post.

Briefly, I took my phone's screen (broken) to exchange.

The technician asked me my unlock pass (PIN) and unlock screen code too, to work freely and restart for tests.

However he removed the screen code to be simpler. Reboot 2, 3 times, everything ok.

The problem (a bit desperate) is that now, supposedly out of nowhere, we can't access phone. Appears this: https://bit.ly/2t5drnu and saying that 4 more attempts and the data will be erased (!!).

The only solution will be reset to the system??
Unfortunately I have some files without backup that I can not lose.

Some light is welcome, thank you!!!

I'm guessing your old PIN no longer works? Then I would guess that the technician who replaced your screen after turning off the PIN, re-enabled it and set it incorrectly. I'd contact them about it. Unless you had the phone set to developer mode with debugging enabled, there's not a whole lot that's going to get you access to the file system when it's locked. :(

Upvote 0
Oh lunatic59.. :(
Yes, it no longer works. He said that rebooted 2 times, with no problem, without PIN (he removed it). Then it appeared.
Now I'm stucked in this point, on my own phone. Unbelievable.

Can you please tell me how can I check it? "Unless you had the phone set to developer mode with debugging enabled"

Thanks a lot

Upvote 0
I really doubt you do, but, first you need something called Android Debug Bridge (adb) which is part of the Android Development Kit (adk). You can get a minimal version of the tools here.

From that point, you plug your phone into your PC with the OEM USB cable (preferably). Then on the PC you open a command prompt/terminal window depending on which OS you have, navigate to where you installed adb.exe and type:
Code:
adb devices
If you see a serial number, we can proceed from there. If you see "No devices" then you are barking up the wrong tree.

"Somebody" re-enabled the PIN lock. I don't think it turns on all by itself. And when you enable it, it requires a new pin be entered and confirmed.

Is the screenshot exactly what your screen looks like? It looks like you grabbed an image from AC. The reason I ask is because what you posted doesn't look like an Android PIN, it looks like a device PIN.

Upvote 0
Thank you lunatic59! Tonight I will try that.

"Somebody" re-enabled the PIN lock. I don't think it turns on all by itself. And when you enable it, it requires a new pin be entered and confirmed.
-> He told me he just removed the pass to work freely. It's a person I trust, but it's just the info he gave me.

"Is the screenshot exactly what your screen looks like? It looks like you grabbed an image from AC. The reason I ask is because what you posted doesn't look like an Android PIN, it looks like a device PIN."
-> No, I cant printscreen my screen because it's locked, and I tried to find on google an imagem that looks the same! Because I saw in some sites "solutions" like click on the option "I forget my password", It's not the case obviously :|

Upvote 0
Hi again lunatic59,

It says "List of devices attached", and there's nothing... damn.

I wasn't hopeful. Most people don't enable debugging unless they're a developer or have done some modifications.

The forgot password only works with passwords, not pin's, and Google no longer permits the PIN to be reset remotely through the Find My Device link. On some phones, after entering the incorrect pin too many times, you are prompted to unlock with your Google account and password, but sometimes, for added security, this includes a full factory reset. I'm afraid that may be your only option at this point.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones